New Neon Tetras Not Eating

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by s2c2, Jul 9, 2015.

1. s

s2c2 Valued Member Member

I just introduced 6 new neon tetras last night to a 10 gallon tank that has been cycling for 3 months. I've read it's normal for newly introduced fish not to eat initially while they adjust to a new tank, but my question is... how long does that normally last and when do I start to worry or try different food? I'm currently crumbling flakes for their food but they are not interested. Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions!

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi! :D

Neons are too active for a 10g, and are best off in a 20g or more.:)

If they don't within a day or two I personally would try soaking their food in garlic, which is supposed to stir up an appetite.

I would also wait for others' opinions on this before acting, too.

Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of flakes are they?

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm thinking if the flakes are too big for them to chew or swallow. Maybe try mini pellets?

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Not just a little. They need at least a 20g....
    Ditto on what junebug asked.

6. BornThisWayBettas

I changed it, better? :p
    Dom90, OP said they were crumbling the flakes, so I wouldn't have thought it would be too big.......

7. Dom90

Some fish just prefer pellets to flakes, I've had fish like that before. Picky eaters meh.

8. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you all! I just bought some Omega micro pellets and frozen brine shrimp and they gobbled the frozen brine shrimp! :) I was originally trying Tetra flakes, but switched to Omega after talking to the LPS owner. Thanks again!

9. Dom90

Good choice, Omega One is a high quality brand of fish food.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. BornThisWayBettas

No problem! Best of luck! :)

11. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I don't blame them for not eating tetra food. It's mostly filler with very little nutrition. You'll have much better luck with the omega one.

12. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you all again! I have one more question for you...

Is a circulation pump too much water movement for neon tetras? I have a Koralia Circulation and Wave Pump with a flow rate of 425 GPH in a 10 gallon tank. The neons are currently spending most of their time hiding in the back corner under the pump. This could simply be because they are new and are still timid in their new environment. But I'm also wondering if the current is too strong for them. When they do swim out in the open, they cannot stop swimming without drifting back in the current... This sounds worse than it is. They aren't "swept" backward, but I can tell that they have resistance against them and they move backward when they stop swimming and have to swim again to gain ground. However, when I turn off the pump, they still prefer to stay in the corner most of the time.

When I originally did research on neons it sounded like having a current was similar to their natural environment in the wild, but I just wanted to double check and see if anyone had any experience or advice on this.

Thank you!

13. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

I do think you do have to much GPH for your tank and the fish you have in it. Bigger is not always better.

Back to the OP for small or young fish all you need to do is grind the flakes between your finger tips before they go in the tank.

I also like my new fish to acclimate for a day before feeding them.

14. Dom90

If you read, the OP was crumbling the flakes but the neons still weren't eating them.

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the GPH is a lot for that size tank.....

16. Dom90

Yes overfiltration is good, but there comes a point where it becomes excessive filtration... At the very max, 150 GPH for a 10 gallon.

17. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Even 150 GPH is too much filtration for any 10 gallon tank unless your keeping a fish that's too big for the tank. 50-75 is more than adequate, with 100 being an absolute max. Of course, my tanks are primarily for breeding, but I prefer to use a medium size sponge filter for a 10, great biofilter and easily cleaned. As far as current for neons, I've never considered that a necessity, as they live mostly at the fringes of small, slow streams. A ten is more then sufficient for 6 neons, but 6 neons really isn't enough of a group to make them comfortable; I'd say 10-12 in a 15 gallon tank. The other thing to remember is that neons like it on the cool side; the profile here says 69-79 F, but I'd cut that to 68-76. They normally breed around 74. They will live in warmer temps, but their lives are shortened considerably, and they are very susceptible to infections.

Best food is live or frozen baby brine shrimp, microworms, and finely crushed flakes of a carnivorous diet. I use specialty flakes made of earthworms or krill. These are micropredators, they eat bugs. Very tiny bugs.

18. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you all so much!

chromedome52, what specific sponge filter do you recommend? I currently have the temp at 74. When I got the new Omega One food, I got flakes and pellets, in addition to getting frozen brine shrimp. Now that they've had a taste of the frozen brine shrimp, that's pretty much all they'll eat. Thank you for the recommendations of the other foods to try.

Thanks again.

19. OP
    OP
    s

chromedome52, I found an inexpensive double sponge filter online. How often do you clean and then replace the sponges? Do you use the sponge filter as your sole filter or do you have another filter as well? From what I've read, it seems some people use them as a second filtration system to house extra bacteria. Thank you!

20. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Brand is not really important for sponge filters, but I do use mostly ATI sponges. They are easy to adapt for many purposes. Sponges are considered great biological filters because the bacteria can colonize a lot of surface with such porous material. They also serve to provide microscopic food for very tiny fry by hosting these colonies.

Get one of the dry foods with garlic in it. First used flakes with garlic about 10 years ago, and something about it really draws fish. Even the big predators go nuts, it's like fishnip! Also, now that the temperature is lower, remember that their metabolism has slowed a bit, too, and they don't need to be fed as heavily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice