New Neon Tetras! Is This Enough Tetras?

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Vortexed, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

Hiiiiii!

So a week ago I put my fish from my 5 gallon tank to my 20 gallon. Now I got some new fish! I got 5 neon tetras. Is this enough tetras for them to live happy and healthy? Heres a pic. It was hard to get a good picture because these little guys are so fast and active! (I put them in around 5 minutes ago). Im also glad my pictus doesnt want to chase or eat them, not to mention they dont fit in his mouth either.

Fun fact: These cute little guys love to play around where my filter puts all the water back because of the flow.

Fun fact #2: My fish are very curious about this new addition. They like to stare at the tetras and play around with them. Su coot <3

NeonTetras.jpg

Why I got them:

I heard so much about these guys and how they would pop out with my black gravel and how they are active. They are also very colorful! They fit all my wants in a fish.

Thanks for the suggestions @dcutl002, @Mike the fish keeper, @Xbox62, and @Dcchillin!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What is the full stocking list? Or is it just 5 neons?

For schooling fish you want to have at least 6, however depending on the stock you could definitely do more! Is this a 20 high or 20 long?

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

This is a 20 long. And everyone says different things so I got 5.

My current stocking is:

1x molly
    1x swordtail
    1x pictus catfish (trying to rehome it..)
    5x neon tetras

4. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of swordtail and molly? For swordtails you have some that get 2 inches and you have some that get 5-6 inches! For mollies there are some that get 3 while others that get 5.

As far as the neons I would definetly up it to at least 10. However How big is the Pictus? Pictus do eat fish and anything small it will eat, neons are one of those fish

5. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

My pictus isnt large enough ot eat them yet, and he has no interest in them. Its a normal golden molly and a red wag swordtail

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

When I see statements like this, I'm reminded of the guy who jumped off a 40 story building. As he fell past the 20th floor, they heard him say, "So far, so good!"

Those long whiskers on the Pictus cat are for locating prey in the dark. If he is over 2.5 inches, he is big enough to eat the Neons; it's just a matter of time before he finds them in the dark.

7. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Well there is absolutely nothing I can do about that. The only idea I have is put the pictus in the 5 gallon till it finds a new home.. but thats kinda torture.

Heres a pic of the catfish if you can determine its size.
    Catfish.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  8. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Use a ruler to determine size :banghead:.

9. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Its hard when he will never stay still.

10. livrich

livrich New Member Member

5 is a fine number for Neon Tetras. I'd recommend getting a couple more (it can be difficult to add one at a time, and you should have more when you can). I currently have 9 in my 20 gallon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice