New neon has growth

Silverlinin

Reaction score
Hi, I bought some neons yesterday to go in with my Betta. With social distancing rules I had to wait at door and was given them in a bag. Then I Introduced them to tank with lights off, so didn’t get a good look at them. ( silly- I won’t ever do that again!)
The main problem is that I noticed one has a growth on its mouth and doesn’t look in a good way, he also has a tiny amount of white on the tips of his fins. I have also been given 9 neons instead of 6 which I’m worried is to many. (It’s a 40litre) Should I take them all back this evening incase all are diseased? Really annoyed with myself for not having a good look at them!

!poogs!

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like neon tetra disease. It’s relentless, spreads quick, and can effect other fish. Return all. When I see one neon at the LFS with it, I won’t buy anything out of that tank. If it’s a big box store where the water is circulated through every tank, I walk out. Won’t buy anything.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
!poogs! said:
Sounds like neon tetra disease. It’s relentless, spreads quick, and can effect other fish. Return all. When I see one neon at the LFS with it, I won’t buy anything out of that tank. If it’s a big box store where the water is circulated through every tank, I walk out. Won’t buy anything.
None of the mentioned symptoms point towards the very rare NTD.

It sounds like the neon specific strain of Columnaris (again). Keeping water clean and the fish stressfree is probably the only possible sollution. On the other hand neons and bettas aren't tempcompatible which will.lead to stress in my opinion.

I'd take them back.

BTW neons can show white finedges.

OP
Silverlinin

Silverlinin

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the advice.
I took all the neons back yesterday. Originally I was going to get Cardinals because of the temperature difference. (when they were in a bigger tank.) I think I’ll take a list and notes next time I get fish to stop myself getting distracted!

New Threads