New, need stocking advise

Mel207

Hi! I am new to this, and would like a little input from some experienced people. We have a 29 gallon cold water tank that we have some minnows, misquitofish, and danios in, but I just bought a 55 gallon and am setting up a tropical tank. I know we want a couple angelfish, so that is going in for sure. From what I understand, they like having some plants around, are there any you would suggest for a beginner? Also, would my danios be happier if I moved them from the cold water tank to the tropical tank? Their temperature range covers both, but I am not sure which is ideal for them. I also want some rainbowfish. So, what I am considering is: 2 angelfish, 5 rainbowfish, and maybe 6 danios depending on if they would be happier in the warmer tank. Also, any suggestions on a bottom feeder? I have gravel substrate that I put in before I realized that catfish prefer sand.

FinalFins

Welcome to Fishlore..

If you want multiple angels I suggest getting 5 over 2.. aggression in cichlids is usually from lack of conspecifics.

For easy plants I suggest getting vals, amazon swords, and hornwort. I personally have a tank full of vals and they are very easy to take care of.

I would not suggest mixing danios with angels. They like cooler waters.

Can you take a pic of the gravel?

Upvote 0

Mel207

Could I do one angel? I heard they get lonely, thats why I thought two. I don't want the whole tank full of angelfish, and if I get 5, there won't be room for the rainbowfish, will there? This is the substrate, typical aquarium gravel ans some river rocks and glass marbles thrown in.

Attachments

• 20200605_092313.jpg
    20200605_092313.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Could I do one angel? I heard they get lonely, thats why I thought two. I don't want the whole tank full of angelfish, and if I get 5, there won't be room for the rainbowfish, will there? This is the substrate, typical aquarium gravel ans some river rocks and glass marbles thrown in.

I believe you'd still have room for 1/2 dozen or so rainbowfish with 5 angels. And welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0

Nataku

If you can get a mated pair of angels that would be great for a 55. But the trick is getting a mated pair. Just two angels is not the same thing. Usually folks find a mated pair by buying half a dozen young angels and letting them mature, and seeing who pairs off. Keep the pair (or whichever pair you like if you happen to get lucky with more than one) and then take the rest to an LFS. This prevents multiple pairs or the pair vs the unpaired Angel's from squabbling as the reach adult size.

Rainbow fish could be kept with a pair of Angel's in a 55. I'd personally go with 10 rainbows just because I love how they school in a group.

Plants are important! Angels like them and it's good for the health of the tank and its inhabitants. Jungle valisneria is a great easy beginner plant that will spread via runners across your tank, it provides plenty of vertical growth. Angels love it. Add a couple amazon swords and you're set. But, you will want to swap out that gravel for sand. Gravel isn't great for plant growth. Sand is cheap! You can either get a bag of pool filter sand from your local walmart or Lowe's or home depot if you like white, or go to tractor supply and get a bag of black diamond blasting sand if you want black sand. Either way a bag is $12 or less for 50 lbs.

Get some bottom dwellers while you're at it. Corydoras are a great fun fish to watch. They also need groups. In a 55 I'd get at least 12. Bronze corydoras or green corydoras or sterbai are all great options for an angel tank. Avoid peppered and panda cories because they prefer color temps than what Angel's or rainbow fish want.

You could even consider a pair of german blue rams, or a pair of some other apistogramma species as they could coexist in such a stock in a 55 and are pretty fascinating to watch.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
GeorgeO
Replies
Views
ystrout
Replies
Views
PurpleReign19