New mystery snail help!!!

Jellysnail

I got this new mystery snail, acclimated them correctly, checked ammonia nitrite and nitrate, had 0 for everything. They won’t stop floating. They are opening up their shell a good amount and just floating around, almost as if they want down but can’t get down. (They’re not dead, they curl back into their shell with any disturbance)

Brizburk

how long have they been floating? my guess is that they'll sink when they're ready but I'm no snail expert.

Jellysnail

how long have they been floating? my guess is that they'll sink when they're ready but I'm no snail expert.
10 minutes I’m not as worried about the floating aspect, but more of the fact that they’re semi hanging out of their shell while doing so. They’re alive, they’re just being a bit of a butt.

Brizburk

10 minutes I’m not as worried about the floating aspect, but more of the fact that they’re semi hanging out of their shell while doing so. They’re alive, they’re just being a bit of a butt.
they're probably fine, just checking out their new home and acclimating I'd assume. I suggest to turn the lights out and let them relax.

Jellysnail

they're probably fine, just checking out their new home and acclimating I'd assume. I suggest to turn the lights out and let them relax.
Ok thank you.

Marlene327

I've had them float for a day or 2 and have no idea why. I put one into a small container last week and it latched on in 1/2" of water, but when I returned it, it floated another day.

Jellysnail

I've had them float for a day or 2 and have no idea why. I put one into a small container last week and it latched on in 1/2" of water, but when I returned it, it floated another day.
Ok thank you so much ;0;

FishDin

I have rams horn snails and there are always several floating and hanging out of their shells. I don't have a lot of snail experience, but these seem fine. They periodically drop down and start crawling around again.

I asked on forums about this behavior. I was told 1) they are feeding from the surface on things that are floating, 2) they are breathing air, 3) they have an air bubble caught in their shell and will sink once the bubble dissipates.

I doubt any of that is true, but I don't know for sure. I do know that my floating snails are perfectly fine.

Leeman75

I don't know the real cause for it, but I have some of my Mysteries do that from time to time and they're very healthy. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jellysnail

I have rams horn snails and there are always several floating and hanging out of their shells. I don't have a lot of snail experience, but these seem fine. They periodically drop down and start crawling around again.

I asked on forums about this behavior. I was told 1) they are feeding from the surface on things that are floating, 2) they are breathing air, 3) they have an air bubble caught in their shell and will sink once the bubble dissipates.

I doubt any of that is true, but I don't know for sure. I do know that my floating snails are perfectly fine.
Thank you so so much!

Brizburk

I've seen snails eating from the surface, my 75gal has too much surface agitation for snails to hand on, but my 20 breeder, they skim the surface for eats.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views