New muster snails

1. Mifuluhu

Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

Mystery snails....sorry for the typo in the subject line.

After looking through the pics of snails posted here I decided to try my first pair of snails. I found two gold/yellow mysteries at my LPS. They are housed in my 5 gallon beta tank. All temp and water parameters are appropriate and the ADF and the beta have paid them no attention.

They are alive (I see them poke out once in a while)must haven't moved from their initial spots. One likes it under the bacopa plant and the other in a front corner. I tried to offer several foods (zucchini, algae wafers, shrimp pellets) and no interest.

Is this typical for new snails or am I doing something wrong!

2. GoldenKillifish

GoldenKillifish Valued Member Member

I'd say give them a few days to adjust it took one of my mysteries a month to stop hiding at every passing fish but ate algae on glass (abundant unfortunately) after a few days. The three adults I had would only eat weekend feeders (what most pet stores feed them) and shrimp pellets. That said the offspring of them eat no salt canned green beans and blanched collard greens.

3. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

Thanks....I will get one of those feeders in case that's what they know to eat and slowly introduce a better diet. Plenty of algae in my tank as well in addition to plant matter if they prefer. I don't know their gender so not sure if they'll have offspring....I do hope so as my other tanks need color as well

4. OP
    OP
    Mifuluhu

I caught them moving about once the lights were out so I feel better now

5. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

As to the diet, it may take them some time to get used to other things. My oldest, who was probably about 4 months or so when I got her from the store, took about 6 months and lots of snail jello to believe that veggies were actually food. Seems like the younger they are, the more inclined they are to willingly try new things :)