New Mollies Help

1. I

Ian Tankers Initiate Member

I just got a Dalmatian molly and a black Molly for my other tank. I got them today. I put them in and they went and explored the aquarium but now they are staying in the top of the tank near the filter. They seem to be afraid of the bubbles when I turn on the air pump. How long should I keep the air pump on for?

2. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Member Member

If you fill out your profile, members will be able to give you better feedback. :)
    To figure out what's going on, it's helpful to know your water parameters and other tank information. Is this a hang on back filter? And then a separate air pump? Is the tank cycled? Are they the only fish in the tank? Why not leave the air pump off and let them settle in?

3. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

If you need the air pump on, just leave it on. Its common to take a few days to get used to a new tank.
    When you say scared, you mean they hide? How big is the tank, what kind of filter, and how many more fish are you planning on?

4. OP
    OP
    I

Ian Tankers Initiate Member

It is a 20 gallon tank. Ammonia and nitrites/nitrates are normal. They hide behind the filter when air pump is on. The tank is cycled.

It is a 20 gallon tank, it is cycled, they are the only fish in the tank, hang on back filter.

5. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Member Member

Your HOB filter is probably oxygenating the water enough for your fish without the air pump.
    If you want the air pump on, you can hope they'll get used to it. Just seems like unnecessary stress when they're already showing signs of being wigged out.

6. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

If you only got them today give them a few days to settle until you worry about them hiding. Do you have any floating plants or cuttings you can chuck in with them.