New Mollies, What Kind

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Got these two pretties today. What colour could they be considered?

I instantly fell hard for the male and the female was dull and plain, but much prettier than her bold tankmates.

Yet, i cant find a classification for her colouring. Closest would be the wild type, but shes still a bit off for that. She is not silver as shes not white. Shes a very pale cream-yellow with grey flecks.
20191008_133303.jpg
20191008_133416.jpg

20191008_132747.jpg

Also gonna throw in a photo of our female balloon because i dont know her colour either. And shes super tiny though has had fry last month, so shes at least hit maturity. Just really tiny (smaller than our platies and smaller than one of our male guppies)
20190922_070439.jpg

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe a calico and white molly. I agree very nice looking fish! :)
Shes not white, a very soft yellow. Its hard to photo?
Ill try to get some better ones when i get home. She moves a lot lol

Shes almost the same colour as my balloon molly girl, like a soft apricot yellow. Except shes got grey speckles very faintly

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Shes not white, a very soft yellow. Its hard to photo?
Ill try to get some better ones when i get home. She moves a lot lol

Shes almost the same colour as my balloon molly girl, like a soft apricot yellow. Except shes got grey speckles very faintly
Ahhh ok yes i see the colors better now. I was just taking a guess on the colors but maybe @emeraldking can help with a better ID. Good luck with them!!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ahhh ok yes i see the colors better now. I was just taking a guess on the colors but maybe @emeraldking can help with a better ID. Good luck with them!!
I think though you are correct on calico for the boy. He took my breath away with how beautiful he is. They both have some ich, but im okay with that because im treating for it anyways in 2 of my tanks, so at least theyre being treated and not let to die an itchy death.

Im gonna throw a photo of my balloon girl in the first post too, as id love to know her coloring too. Shes a tiny tiny little thing, smaller than our platies.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The male could be a leopard or a calico molly and the female is a socalled saffron white belly molly.
When it comes to the male it's a bit tricky because of the black spots wether it's a calico or a leopard. He's just a specimen that's just in the middle of these two.
Both colors are regulars in the commercial trade. At least, overhere they are.

The ballon molly is still considered being a yellow balloon molly. There are some nuances within the yellow coloration. But when it comes to coloration names (yellow in this case) with balloon mollies, the commercial trade will hardly make a difference between nuances. This is because wordlwide the balloon mollies aren't that popular as other kinds of mollies. Balloon mollies are considered being manipulated specimens. At vivarsitic events in the Netherlands these balloon mollies aren't allowed to be sold (which goes for every manipulated species). Only at an lfs they're allowed to be sold.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The male could be a leopard or a calico molly and the female is a socalled saffron white belly molly.
When it comes to the male it's a bit tricky because of the black spots wether it's a calico or a leopard. He's just a specimen that's just in the middle of these two.
Both colors are regulars in the commercial trade. At least, overhere they are.

The ballon molly is still considered being a yellow balloon molly. There are some nuances within the yellow coloration. But when it comes to coloration names (yellow in this case) with balloon mollies, the commercial trade will hardly make a difference between nuances. This is because wordlwide the balloon mollies aren't that popular as other kinds of mollies. Balloon mollies are considered being manipulated specimens. At vivarsitic events in the Netherlands these balloon mollies aren't allowed to be sold (which goes for every manipulated species). Only at an lfs they're allowed to be sold.
Im not a huge fan of balloon mollies and normally wouldnt go out of my way to buy them, but i saw this individual fish and she was really really cute lol but shes probably the only balloon ill ever own. Ive yet to find any other i find as cute as her. Even those her same colour. I find them sorta silly looking and breeding fish to be purposely deformed seems really sad to be honest. Shes very timid and very tiny, only an inch or so long. Hides at any outside movement. But very gentle with other tankmates, after she warms up to them. Its this meek personality that made me take her home

Ive never heard of leopard mollies. Most LPS just mark them "assorted sailfins" (these two sold as this), "assorted", "dalmation", "black", "balloon", and "silver" as well as combinations of "lyretail". Anything not fitting these get thrown in assorted lol my female molly marble was sold as a dalmation lyretail. I suspect she should have been sold as a sailfin because shes just huge. Ive yet to see any of the "non sailfin" mollies her size or close. These two new ones were sold as "sailfins" and are big but still smaller than our original girl. Shes a hefty 4 inch girl.

But i digress. So calico or leopard seems good for him, he does look like both fish on Google, and hes really pretty regardless. One of the prettiest mollies ive ever seen and he has a good personality too. Gets along well with the saffron girl, though they came from the same tank.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well the name "Leopard" is used for gold dust mollies and panda mollies with a distorted pattern of black blotches on the gold or blonde base color.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom