0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. M

Missa32G New Member Member

Hi everyone, I just bought these fish and I was just told they look pregnant already. So I am wondering if my fish is already pregnant and also ou'd you can tell how much longer I have to get another track for the fry if she is. White is a Sailfin and gold is a Regular and the black is a Swordtail.. 20180621_225456.jpg Thank you! 20180622_152403.jpg 20180622_152303.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

It can be assumed that any live bearer female bought at a store in a mixed gender tank is in some stage of pregnancy. As for how to tell how far along they are, it is hard to say. When the females look very plump and almost "boxy" then they are close to dropping fry.

As for when to get another tank for the fry, the sooner the better. You will need to have the tank set up and ready for fry whenever they come, and that means the tank should be heated, filtered and cycled. I'd use no less than a 10gal tank for fry, but bigger is always better. Bear bottom tanks are a lot easier to clean as well. Extra water changes and 2-3 feedings a day is what I do for my fry. Lately I've been doing 3-4 50% water changes in my betta and pleco fry tanks.

3. OP
    OP
    M

Missa32G New Member Member

Well, my brown Sailfin looks squared off on her belly is that what you're referring to?