New Mollies odd behavior

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by klutz10154, Nov 28, 2012.

1. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

got 3 new dalmatian mollies at the LFS today and did all the normal stuff. acclimating and that. now about 5 hours later they're all in 1 corner of the tank up at the top with part of their top fins out of the water... my gold molly is in the tank too but is in the opposite corner of the tank by herself at the bottom. they're all still alive but have me a little worried. any ideas on whats going on?

2. fishyluvWell Known MemberMember

Is your tank cycled? What are your readings of ammonia,nitrites, and nitrates? If you dont already have a test kit, you really need a liquid test kit. Test strips are not accurate. API MASTER TEST KIT. Amazon or Kensfish.com have them really reasonable. It will last a while also. I have mollies and they dont act like that. Something is wrong. Petsmart does have the test kit BUT its alot more.

3. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I used to have Mollies and they never acted that way. They are usually very friendly, come up to the front of the tank when walking by, etc.

Fishyluv's questions are very relevant as well.

Did you properly acclimate them? Having a quarantine tank will definitely help acclimate your fish in the most beneficial manner. They really need to be QT'ed for a week at least, if not more.

4. guppygrlValued MemberMember

mine did that when i had high ammonia issues. my water is good now and they are very friendly and active. the dalmatian Molly's always come to the front of the tank when i walk by.

5. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

6. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Nitrites need to be at 0 along with Ammonia as well (zero).

I'd suggest daily water changes (40-50%) and when you test your water parameters, make sure you wait to test it 24 hours AFTER the water changes as Prime and other water conditioners can affect the readings within that time before it dissipates from the fish tank water.

7. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

the fish just went in today and I put prime in the tank as well. I'll do a water change in the morning. btw the nitrites are at 0 the amm is at .25

8. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Having high Nitrates ( anything over 20ppm ) you should have the water changed every day to get the levels down. Make sure you are cleaning the gravel really well and as stated above, use prime to detoxify the ammonia. Make sure you wait 24 hours before testing too :)

9. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

I did a 50% water change at 930 last night with prime. they are in my 10 gal. and when I up this morning they're all hiding. none are swimming around much and its just worrying me

10. fishyluvWell Known MemberMember

I would take back the new fish UNTIL your tank is COMPLETELY cycled. Then only add 2 fish at the most. You may be able to add 1 or 2 more later on but not all 3 at once and especially when the tank is not cycled. Your fish will end of suffering. Please it is the best thing to do if you love the fish and They should let you return them and give you credit UNTIL your tank is cycled.

11. klutz10154Valued MemberMember

I took the one that passed back. and talked to the Man at the LFS the and when I had put all the fish in they tested the water it was fine before I put it in. the reading was perfect for the fish to go into. when I talked to him today he said that my ph got severely changed when the fish and plants went in. we have slowly been changing it back to normal. I know the powder isn't a good idea so we've decided on water changes and magic water balls. I'll keep you guys updated. my ammonia is really low still along with everything else according to the fish store the only thing they could find was the ph was really bad. the tank was cycled when I put these fish in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice