New Mollies Dying...help

OP
C

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
filled a 5 ml test tube with 0.5 ml of aquarium water and 4.5 ml of tap...
bright purple almost instantly...that would mean almost a 100% water change...

I think the only practical thing to do would be wait and see

There have got to be some things at work here other than chloramine / ammonia conversion as in the tap water which gives a no nitrite indication...I'm guessing there has to be other bio-factors already present in the aquarium water that are affecting the results such as converted ammonia by BB to NO2 rather than the chlorine to ammonia that is happening with the tap water via Prime and NovAqua+

All my other readings are stable

NH3/4 0
NO3 5
pH 7.4
KH 5 degrees
Temp 77

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water conditioners are not going to convert ammonia to nitrite, they just convert it to ammonium temporarily.

I suggest big water changes and a good vacuuming, its not common for nitrite to spike off the chart but it does happen.

OP
C

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could I just keep adding Prime every 24 hours to detox the nitrite until the bacteria multiply enough to take care of the Nitrite? I'm not going to be in town for the next 3 days and my wife will only be home watching the fish ....water changes aren't her thing

I do show about 5 ppm Nitrate

Seems like my water changes screw up my cycle in my tank every time

I did a fishless cycle for 6 weeks and everything was stable until I added fish

hyun007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A little salt is always welcome by the Molly.
Just don't keep cory cat in there if you are going to add salt.

You are not the only one who have problem with Molly.
Try to add a little salt each time you do water change.
It works well with some people.

OP
C

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks all..I'm gonna go on the safe side then and assume the Nitrite test is correct

I reduced the test tube to 1 ml aquarium water and 4 ml of tap after another 50% change just now....showing 2 PPM with the dilution so I would assume my Nitrites are somewhere between 8 and 10??? I guess that will be well enough to keep the cycle going until the NO3 producing bacteria really take hold...added 2 caps of Prime directly to tank before refilling

I will do 50% water changes with 2x cap's of Prime until my bacteria get a hold of the Nitrites

Well...it has been educational I guess... chalk me up to failing Fishless Cycling 101... and killing 3 Mollies in the process , it's A LOT harder than everyone makes it sound...and here I was trying to prevent fish stress and thought I was patient enough but then blam 6-7 weeks down the drain

I assumed everything I read that said NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 5-20 should be a cycled tank was correct...oh well live and learn...

Guess I'm being forced into completing my tank cycle with fish

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a suggestion, I would get the nitrites down to barely registering. They are obviously being produced by ammonia conversion, so you don't have to worry about there not being enough to feed the new bacteria.

I don't know the specifics of nitrites, but I do know that with ammonia , if you get over 5ppm that it actually can kill off some of the BB and slow your cycle down even more.

OP
C

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Jetajockey

How much time should I let pass between changes

I just did a 50%, I'm going to wait until the morning and do another...I don't want to stress them out too much ....I think in the morning if the levels not down, I'll change 80 - 85%...

I must have a ton of BB for the ammonia conversion...showing 0 on the NH3 scale...

Funny that only when I introduced my fish I got the nitrite spike I was waiting for during the fishless cycle but never really got (I thought I missed it)...at most up to 1 or 1.5 but down to 0 the next day

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just change out whatever you are comfortable with, you have the best idea of what's going on right now so you should use your best judgment as to what the fish can handle. You are doing all right, we all go through this starting out.

OP
C

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks jetajockey, I really appreciate the help

OP
C

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Glad I listened to you guys on the water changes, also got a new API test kit just to be safe....been doing 2x daily changes with a large one in the morning and a partial in the evening...finally got my nitrites down to about .25 ...

I just keep adding a 2 cap full shot of Prime and keep doing water changes hoping the NO3 producing bacteria show up in greater number soon

I've isolated my two remaining mollies in a small hospital tank as they were on their last legs in the main tank, I change their water 95% everyday with some Prime/Copper Meds/Aquarium salt - they both started getting ich in about 12 hours after putting them in the main tank

2 days later...they both seem alert and active and the ich is just about gone, barely notice anything with a high light led pen flashlight that usually reflects anything white to great clarity

What I do question is whether or not to return my Mollies to the store or the main tank

Not sure they're gonna like it if I switch them to a non-brackish environment...Although looking back the tank wasn't cycled properly (I jumped the gun - noob mistake) so they were probably more stressed about that than the salinity factor

I love how they move, swim etc...but they seem to really like the brackish water and I plan on running this setup in my 46 gallon once it is Fully Cycled ...

5 Boeseman Rainbowfish
1 Red Tail Shark
6 Glo Fish
2 Emerald Green Cory Catfish

New Threads