New Mollies Dying...help

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Completed my cycle after 6 weeks yesterday..

Went out and got 3 Black mollies 1 Male and 2 female

Adapted them with drip test...fed and watched for couple hours...turned off lights and went into other room

Got up to check on them some 6 hours after introducing to tank and 1 molly was dead on the bottom of the tank and the other two are swimming sort of listlessly and being carried by the currents etc...

My 6 Glo fish are doing fine

That's all I have in the 46 gallon tank

All parameters are fine

What is wrong...did I do something

Please Help!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your parameters, like the actual numbers. Have you tested since the molly died and the others started acting listless?

The one may have just died from stress. I doubt it played a role but it's better not to feed new fish right away.

-Lisa

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Temp 81
pH 7.5
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 7
KH 4 Deg

Just tested again

I have black inert sand from Petsmart in the bottom and when first introduced they started rummaging through it and spitting it out etc..didn't look like they were eating it...

Could they have ingested it?

I barely fed them, maybe just a couple flakes

They seemed very active and healthy and all of a sudden Wham!!!

Like I said too my Glo's are fine

Sad and puzzled...I can't help but feel responsible after I thought I did everything to prepare for their arrival

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What test kit are you using?

81 is pretty warm, that could play a role.

My mollies are constantly taking mouthfuls of sand and spitting it back out. I think they do ingest some because I've seen some sandy poop. I doubt that's what's going on with your mollies.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
did they freak out when you turned the lights off? It looks like you have all of your bases covered, I don't know of what could cause this apart from them not adapting to their new environment.

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They seemed fine when the lights went out..the glo's darted a little then calmed down the mollies seemed okay also

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Fish Lore profile says 70-82 degrees, so 81 is up there. Did you try to keep it at that temp while you were drip acclimating them? If not, the shock of the temp change could've stressed them.

-Lisa

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did use that temp when acclimating them and had my heater to the very lowest setting all day just seemed to settle on 81

I am using NovAqua +

I took the mollies out and put them in an emergency tank with some cooler conditioned water and am doing a partial water change right now with cooler water about 20% to try and change things around

Thanks for all the quick help so far...kinda in panic mode right now

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, sadly the 2nd one just died...

The 3rd one is struggling..

The Glo's are still fine..

I did a 50% water change and conditioned the water the temp is down to 79 and falling slowly

I was sure my tank was cycled so we'll see in the morning

Now to explain to our 5 year old in the morning where her fish went

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sometimes the conditions fish are kept in (even in fish stores) are awful, high ammonia level for example. Every now and then fish can survive these conditions for a while and they adapt to these awful conditions. If this was the case for you fish, adapting to pristine water conditions can be a shock to your fish even with slow acclimation.

Sometimes it trial and error in this hobby.

With your cycle readings where they should be 0, 0, under 20 don't be so quick to blame yourself. The fish could also have been ill.

So sorry you lost them!

Ken

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks aquarist48...I appreciate the feedback

3rd still hanging on, tough little guy

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Ken about the LFS tanks. Does your store have a refund policy? You could take the fish back, but before you buy anymore I'd ask them to test their water in front of you. That way you know what you're getting.

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update:

3rd Molly made it through the night

I have him quarantined with some aquarium salt, he seems better now and is swimming rather than just lying on the bottom

I changed another 75% of the water and have the temp at 75 deg and all parameters look good.

Getting a false high reading for Nitrites using the API test...did a tap water 1/2 tap 1/2 aquarium and compared to 100% aquarium water...both turned bright purple ...I'm using Prime now so it looks like the chloramines are affecting the test

All other fish seem to be doing fine...still not sure why the original 2 fish passed..

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
100% tap water equals bright blue

just a drop of aquarium water turns the results deep purple

which if was the case the fish would all be dead by now, but so far the Glo Fish have been in there for 24 hours and the new Mollies are doing good going on 7

I was using NovAqua+ before started using Prime and that was the main culprit for giving the false High...

These reading happened before like this immediately after a water change and took a couple days to indicate 0

Whatever Prime or NovAqua + does to chloramines, it throws the API test off from what I can tell

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that sounds odd. I've never had an issue with prime and nitrite testing, and I use prime as my main water conditioner.

High nitrites do not equal instant death, but it can and often leads to fatalities. try conditioning some tap water with your water conditioners in a cup and then testing it to see what it says, that should rule out whether or not you are getting false positives. If it turns out you have insanely high nitrites, then start doing some big water changes.

Last edited:

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did an 85% change and still deep purple...

that can't be correct could it ????

stand by gonna do the cup/condition test

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
did the tap water conditioner test and it didn't effect the test...I still can't believe the nitrites could be that high though with all of the water changes I've done in the last 24 hours

just tested the tank again and the color is off the scale...deep deep purple...just the other day it was zero before i added the fish

not sure what to do...wait it out or just keep doing changes that don't seem to do anything

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom