New Mexico Tank using petrified wood from Santa Fe County

sailinship

This is my third aquarium, second fish tank. It is a 40g. breeder size tank that I run a fluval canister filter on. We were inspired by the aquascaping we saw online and knew we wanted to use the petrified wood we had, so we did some research, cycled the tank slowly for about two months and then slowly added plants and fish to it.

IMG_20130809_203933.jpgIMG_20130809_203940.jpgIMG_20130901_130538.jpgIMG_20130901_130546.jpgIMG_20130901_130555.jpgIMG_20130901_130613.jpgIMG_20130901_130620.jpgIMG_20130901_130628.jpgIMG_20130901_130640.jpgIMG_20130901_130857.jpg

It really did look much more like NM in the beginning. It's cool now too, but not the same.

OP
S

sailinship

Now.

I really did want to keep it very sparse and desert like, but the plants have a purpose and the fish link them very much. I also had to dampen the glaring effect of the white sand with darker substrate because the fish seemed to be twitchy and I read that they don't like bright bottoms. I used some small gravel and some black flourite.

IMG_20140318_203221.jpgIMG_20140318_203233.jpgIMG_20140318_203248.jpgIMG_20140320_191633.jpgIMG_20140320_191646.jpg

although we have gone through some deaths, the current population of this tank has been healthy and steady for about a year now.
1 common pleco, not growing super fast.
3 gold Gouramis
3 pearl Gouramis
13 neon tetras
1 rummynose tetra (We had a few in there before we made a tank dedicated to this fish and I just could not catch this little bugger. By now I guess he figures himself to be a neon tetra and so he's home.)
5 Cory JulI Catfish
2 Ottocinclus
4 albino glow light tetras
3 glow light tetras
4 gold pristella tetras
2 True Siamese algae eaters

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Nice landscaping job!

Did you find these pieces yourself? I ask because a friend of mine collects rocks for a hobby and goes all over the Southwest. He gave me some petrified rock he found a while back, but I forget where exactly he came across them.

OP
S

sailinship

I use two small 25 watt grow bulbs I bought from rogue hydroponics. I tried some other small bulbs and these worked best, almost too good. This tank is up against the underneath of a stairway so there wasn't much room for light fixtures. It's next to my 55 Community tank which is light by two T5 HO bulbs so it might be getting residual from that as well.
The tall grass you can see on either side of the tank never has grown well. I tried a few small carpeting plants, but they never grew well either. I'm guessing because there's no CO2. However, some moss, I have no idea how, just showed up and is carpeting the bottom very nicely albeit very slowly.
The small turquoise looking rocks are...Turquoise. One of my friends is a jeweler and gave me some old pieces he couldn't use.
The grass has a black algae on it. This tank is the only one where this type of algae? showed up. It hasn't grown much or hurt anything. I got SAE's to help keep the tank algae free-ish, but they haven't touched this stuff.
I'm not sure what the plant in the very back with the multI pointed leaves is. I looked it up in one of my aquarium plant books, but I'm not 100%. However, one thing I am sure of is that in this tank, it grows like gangbusters.
I have lots of nirites in this tank, all zebras and tigers, because they look beautiful and I like them. They are just really neat little creatures. They have coated all sorts of stuff, especially the wood, with eggs. I may have baby nirites in there because I saw some small snails, and since I haven't introduced anything like that I'm guessing they are baby nirites from the eggs. This got me into the idea of breeding nirites. I am now trying to breed them in a small 10g.

OP
S

sailinship

Thanks for looking. My girlfriend got the petrified wood pieces out near her land which is just barely South of Santa Fe. One thing we have a lot of in New Mexico is...rocks.

Tonia

Well Known
Love the aquascape!! I also have some petrified wood that I use in my tanks. Currently I have 4 smaller pieces and one quite large piece. The large piece is waiting for the future 110-125g tank.

Fishy Friends

Well Known
sailinship said:
Thanks for looking. My girlfriend got the petrified wood pieces out near her land which is just barely South of Santa Fe. One thing we have a lot of in New Mexico is...rocks.
Seems I would be happy living in New Mexico - I love rocks! and wood - that petrified is a great find - I really love your tank!

fishlover25

I really like how it looks now. Is your water cloudy though or is it just like that in the pictures?

OP
S

sailinship

fishlover25 said:
I really like how it looks now. Is your water cloudy though or is it just like that in the pictures?
No, the water isn't cloudy at all. This tank is actually my most stable and clean. Except for the black algae on the grass this tank runs well.

New Threads