HarrisonWells

Hello,

I had a 46 gallon planted freshwater aquarium throughout my time in college. I enjoy the hobby quite a bit, but life got in the way and I decided to part ways with that tank. Years later, in late 2017, I bought a 16 gallon Coralife BioCube. I planned on venturing into the exciting world of reef aquariums, but I ended up shutting it down and cleaning it up for storage about 10 days after I started cycling it.

My 9-year-old son found the BioCube in the garage and asked if we could set it up. I came across this site while looking for reliable information. I've spent quite a bit of time searching through the boards and reading the information; there's a ton of great stuff and knowledgeable people here.

I look forward to learning more.

Morrigan

Welcome! I've recently come back to the hobby too - it's one of those hobbies that draw you back in even after years isn't it?

What are your plans for the BioCube this time?

Leeman75

Welcome! My story is similar to yours in the college interest that went away after when life started happening, complete with one of my kids' interest pulling me back in. It seems to be a common story!! You are right, there are a lot of really knowledgeable people here and I have learned so much in my few months on here.

HarrisonWells

Welcome! I've recently come back to the hobby too - it's one of those hobbies that draw you back in even after years isn't it?

What are your plans for the BioCube this time?
It really is.

We're going to do a freshwater tank with nano species and perhaps some anubias. The return pump is too powerful for most freshwater species that we're considering, so I got a ball valve to reduce output. I read that backpressure on the pump doesn't harm it, and could theoretically increase its lifespan.

I put bio balls in the second chamber. The first chamber has a filter pad with activated carbon. I also have a protein skimmer, but I'm not sure if I'll bother with it. It's an in-tank skimmer powered by an air pump/stone. It doesn't have great reviews, but I bought it back when I planned on setting up the reef tank. I've read that there could be some benefits to using it in freshwater, but I realize that the mechanism by which it works is significantly less efficient in freshwater.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DocRick

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom