GabeLeo

HI All, I am new to this forum but not new to fish keeping I have had several tanks over the years. My current tank a 110 gallon planted community tank that was upgraded from a 55 gallon about two years ago. Most of the fish I have have been in there for over five years. I have 2 angels, cardinal tetras, rasporas, dojo loaches, bamboo shrimp, viper shrimp and a panther crab that is 3 inches across.

I also have a 120 gallon reef tank that has been running for about 8 months so its still pretty new and I am relatively new to saltwater tanks but I did have a 55 reef about five years ago.

I joined this forum because I wanted to try a new source of info and my nephew who we take care of wanted a fish tank for his room so I couldn't refuse. The thing is, I took to a LFS and he really liked the platys. I have never kept hard water fish, mostly because our water out of the tap is soft and the pH is 6.4. I started the tank with an African cichlid substrate to get that going but I'm nervous about keeping the pH and alkalinity high as I don't know how to do that but I love learning new things about this hobby.

Here are some pics of my tanks.

You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

12Cin12

Wow! your tanks are lovely and welcome! There are lots of Angel lovers on this site who I think will appreciate your beauties! I can't wait to see what you set up for your nephew!
I'm curious what your Ph is now that you added the cichlid substrate? Some people add crushed coral to their filters to keep their water hard. In addition, Seachem Equilibrium is used to remineralize soft water or RO water. Both of these methods raise Ph.
Soft water seems like a dream to me - my water is very hard! I suppose each has its pros and cons!

GabeLeo

Wow! your tanks are lovely and welcome! There are lots of Angel lovers on this site who I think will appreciate your beauties! I can't wait to see what you set up for your nephew!
I'm curious what your Ph is now that you added the cichlid substrate? Some people add crushed coral to their filters to keep their water hard. In addition, Seachem Equilibrium is used to remineralize soft water or RO water. Both of these methods raise Ph.
Soft water seems like a dream to me - my water is very hard! I suppose each has its pros and cons!
Thanks for the compliment. I started the cycle and the pH is 7.4 so I guess that stuff works.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
clownie99
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views