New member with danio questions

MarkLytz

Thank you for adding my wife and I to the forum. I am a returning hobbyist after having been away from aquariums for almost 40 years. I recently bought my wife a betta and that started up the interest for me too! We just bought a 15 bow front tank and it has cycled with three Pearl Danios. Currently there is a female in hiding and two males that harass her. I want to keep only Danios and I am not sure if I should add more or what the maximum number should be. Also, would adding invertebrates be a good idea? It still a ‘new’ tank and I was wondering how much time I should give any additions if any?

BigManAquatics

Welcome!! If it is cycled, imagine you should be able to add a few more, anyway! Then wait til the bacteria gets caught up to that addition before adding more. Would think you could add a mystery snail or two with the danios.

MarkLytz

Thank you for the reply. My wife is afraid to add more fish because it’s a fluval 15 that’s really about twelve level gallons. Would adding more danios help the female that’s hiding out (she is petrified of the two males) be more comfortable because it would be more like a shoal with more fish? Mystery snails sound like a good idea!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 11

BigManAquatics

Might help, more fish to chase!

Redshark1

I can understand your desire to keep Danios. They are active and colourful and make an ideal breeding project which is why I kept them. However, they do have a few downsides which is why I no longer keep them.

They aren't the most relaxing of fish to watch although their activity may be what draws you to them.

In my experience they are rather short-lived compared to my other fish (my Clown Loaches are 27 years old!).

A large group is needed to prevent weaker individuals being picked on by stronger individuals (or females chased by males).

I had a shoal of about a dozen Zebra Danios (which I am assuming are very similar to Pearl Danios in terms of keeping) in a 20 gallon long tank and they were good to keep but I reduced my number of tanks to three and took them back to the shop.

I now have Clown Loaches / Harlequin Rasboras, Cardinal Tetras / Plants and African Dwarf Frogs in these three aquaria which I personally prefer.

ruud

Pearl danios hail from habitats with heavy vegetation. Adding a dozen stem plants would make the danios more comfortable I reckon....

You can remove the thermometer as well. No need to monitor a tank that doesn't require heating; even daily and seasonal fluctuations would be welcomed by pearl danios.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
WRWAquarium
Replies
Views
Dedife
Replies