New member seeking advice about new aquarium (fish, plants, etc) Question

1. AndyVE Member Member

Hi all,
    i am really interested in buying an aquarium.
    Do not have any real experience (used to have a pond long time ago).
    so far i am only reading as much as i can (nitrogen cycle link found from this site before becoming a member, about the fish i could us,etc)

have already an idea about what i would like to buy (tank and eventually fish wise).
    but want to hear your opinion and also like more info about plants and other basic stuff i should need/know.

So the idea is to buy:
    A Ferplast dubai 100 aquarium (101x41x53cm) - 190L

Would use dark background on it and also dark floor covering (sand?)
    fill it with java moss and java fern (any other suggestions?)

and later on fill it with:
    4 Congo tetra (not enough or okay because of the next one)
    8 cardinal tetra (alternative option would be around max 20 neon tetra...but prefer the looks of the cardinal)
    4 Red cherry shrimp
    maybe also some Assassin snail (if preventive or only when i get snail issue)
    (What would be the best sequence to get them?)

Also looked at:
    otocinclus affinis and 1 gourami...but prefer the combination mentioned above.

have no idea if that would be a good combination for occupying "all" layers though?

as far as i could see this combination should get along...

also could use tips and tricks about equipement i should need to start with...

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Firstly bump your school of congos up to at least 6. You can add 20 cardinal tetras, and you still have room. Shrimp may be attacked by the congos at the pet store I work at we have a display tank that includes a school of congos and they keep the cherry shrimp population in check. provide the shrimps lots of cover and I recommend planting the tank. Have a look at this useful tool to help you stock:http://aqadvisor.com

I'd recommend grabbing some bottom feeders, ever heard of corydoras and plecos? Some plecos get to large but there are some small species such as Tiger and Bristlenose are some to mention. Check this link out:http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830+2855 Avoid the cichlids on THIS list because they need higher ph and harder water. However there are other cichlids which could mix with your fish.

Another way to find interesting fish is by checking out the gallery:https://www.fishlore.com/fishpicture/showgallery.php/cat/656

Equipment, I'll list the basics. Filter (I would recommend and external canister filter for this size tank.), Heater, air pump and lights (If you are going to plant our tank get T5HO or LEDHO.)

Happy stocking!

3. AndyVE Member Member

What about a couple of zebra oto's asa bottom feeders?
    is that amount of fish not way too much (1 cm fish /2L rule)?

any tips for silent air pumps (would also be sleeping in the room)?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oto's don't do well in new set ups as there isn't enough algae to sustain them, they're also not bottom feeders they feed everywhere in the tank.
    If you really wanted some, wait a good few months for the tank to mature then add a group of 6, you'll still have to supplementary feed them with algae wafers & veg such as courgette.
    The quietest pump I ever had was an eheim but in a quiet place like a bedroom you'd still hear it I would think

5. AndyVE Member Member

Ah okay..my mistake.
    so would a single zebra pleco be doable as a bottom feeder?

Pump does not have to be near silent. Am a fairly deep sleeper. :)

aquarium should have T5 lamps according to their website (not clear if included)

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

My list of awesome beginner plants, assuming you have decent lighting:

Anubias sp.
    Green Myrio
    Marimo Ball
    Echinodorus sp (many good low light plants in this family, but they will require either special substrate, or root tabs).
    Najas Grass
    Java Moss
    Java fern
    Flame Moss
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Bacopa Monnieri

All of these plants are easy enough to care for, have minimal light requirements, and none require cO2.

As for your proposed stock list, it's great that you've chosen fish that are compatible in temperment and environment! However your congo and cardinal tetras are going to occupy roughly the same space in the tank. It shouldn't cause problems, I'm just letting you know. For some nice top dwelling fish, a gourami would work and I think you can fit one in that setup if you want to. I personally prefer to set my tanks up as biotopic environments, at least when it comes to the fauna, so I'll select fish all from the same general area. In a south american tank (tetras and Otos are south america endemics) with soft water (which your tetras will require - cardinals in particular are sensitive to high pH values).

Your tetras are going to be all over the mid-top of the tank, so you could also change it up and do a bottom dwelling centerpiece fish. If you're willing to wait until the tank is well established, you might consider a pair of Amazonian cichlids, perhaps rams or apistos. They look great and will really bring your tank together.