New member, New tank

Stitcher

Reaction score
Hi all. just joined in. Been reading here for info. Wish I knew about this site before I set up my tank,75 gal. I may have save the casualties if I had the info from here before hand. Bought a used tank & came with a couple fish. Set the tank up with gravel & filter as was to keep bacteria but tank still went through cycle. Lady I got tank from said they would be fine in new water. Not sure if it was nitrites that got them or they didn't take well to change in water & new home. Lost a Bala Shark & Dojo Loach. Replaced with new fish, 4 Guppies, Pleco, YoYo Botia & 6 Neon Tetras. Tank is doing well now. Got a test kit and started monitoring the water. 0 Ammonia, 0.2 nitrite, 10 nitrate.
I have found info here very usefull.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore. That was good timing on your part for posting, 10:00:00PM. Can't wait to see pics.
Tom

Stitcher

Reaction score
Can't take any good pics right now, camera is broke and I'm shopping for a new one right now.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to the forums. Basically the same thing that happened with me. I got a 20 gallon tank and fish and didn't know about the ammonia cycle. The guorami that came with the tank bravely gave his life that I could find out about ammonia poisoning before the rest of the fish gave up the ghost, God rest his soul. I now have a happy, healthy tank and a dogwood bush out back that is home to the guorami.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to the site!

Stitcher

Reaction score
The Shark kept swimming back & forth in the front of the tank all day non stop for a week, would not eat & seen fine, but I knew something was up. He had to eat sooner or later but he didn't. Thats how I found this site, looking for info to help him.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stitcher said:
Can't take any good pics right now, camera is broke and I'm shopping for a new one right now.
The way my parents got a really nice camera was going onto airmiles.com and getting a really nice one from there for a few thousand airmiles.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore.. it's too bad about the lost fish, but i think a LOT of us here on fishlore got here trying to help fish the same way you did.

What kind of testing kit did you get? What do you treat your tap water with? Do you have a heater? how long has the tank been running for you?

Stitcher

Reaction score
Nutrafin Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate test. My choice here is pretty limited, one IFS and Wallymart. I didn't want to buy online and wait for the kit. I needed now after reading about the water cycle.
I treat the water with a conditioner to be safe. I don't have chlorine in my water, I draw off from a dugout for my household water. I tested the tap water ; 0 ammonia ; 0 nitrites ; 02 nitrates.
The tanks been going for 2 weeks now and nitrites are going down. Todays readings were 0 ; 0.2 ; 10

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's our choices too. Sounds good in your tank.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you've got a tank that's doing all right now.

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore and good luck with you new tank

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore

Stitcher

Reaction score
???Fish are doing Okay but the cycle does not seam to be going any place.
Tested the water today Had 0 ammonia ; 0.3 nitrite ; 10 nitrate. Did a 25% water change and tested the water again about 20 min later. 0 ammonia ; 0.2 nitrite ; 7 nitrate.
Is this right?? What is a safe level of nitrite for the fish? Should I do another water change now to bring the nitrite level down more??

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long was the tank running before you first tested it?

Stitcher

Reaction score
The tank was going for 12 days before I got the test kits. Tested on that day was;
0 ammonia ; 0.3 nitrite ; 10 nitrate. The tank got set up with a used filter & gravel.
My concern is the nitrite levels, what is to high for the fish?? I did a 50% water change last night and my readings came down to 0.1 nitrite ; 5 nitrate.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stitcher said:
The tank was going for 12 days before I got the test kits. Tested on that day was;
0 ammonia ; 0.3 nitrite ; 10 nitrate. The tank got set up with a used filter & gravel.
My concern is the nitrite levels, what is to high for the fish?? I did a 50% water change last night and my readings came down to 0.1 nitrite ; 5 nitrate.
I could be wrong, but your tank might be cycled or nearly cycled and the nitrates could come down.. you could use a dose of novaqua+ if it's cycled and just has a little bit of pesky nitrites left.

Stitcher

Reaction score
Been searching site for answer to ??. Nitires should be 0 on a cycled tank but what level of nitrites is unsafe that I should panic and do a water change???

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stitcher said:
Been searching site for answer to ??. Nitires should be 0 on a cycled tank but what level of nitrites is unsafe that I should panic and do a water change???
Even in a cycled tank, you can get nitrites or ammonia above 0 - from plants or leftover food, etc.. or even from your tap water. You might test your tap & see if you could be adding nitrites in the water changes. Prime is a great water conditioner because it works on them when treating the tap water.

Stitcher

Reaction score
Tested tap water ; 0 ammonia ; 0 nitrites ; 2 nitrates
Using Aqua Plus water conditioner to treat water (came with tank & stuff)
Is one brand better that another?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom