New member , new tank , old problem?

swampy

Hello to all. Let me give some back ground : Tank is old (55 gal ) ... cleaned this pass weekend ; rinsed, and more ... ; Old gravel , rinsed and rinsed it ... a lot of trash ( small sized) ; New filters .... ammonia test : I really do not know ... it is not a green that shows on the bottle scale; but I have concluded that I would err on reading it high that the tank is under "stress" ; Now how do I get water out of this tank ? What is the more efficient and less mess way of going about this? ; Tank is almost full and two (2) algae eaters are in there ... ; I had added the stress meds ( a liquid) ; I do not have any other testing supplies as of yet .... Want to dump 25 gal and add temp water back into tank.

Before I do this...: should I sample the tap water and see what this "test strip" shows for clear water?

Thanks in advance
swampy

COBettaCouple

You'll want a test kit like: . You're probably at the beginning of your nitrogen cycle given the ammonia being high. Some BioSpira or ZymBac-FW by Kordon would be good to speed the cycle up.

What did you condition your tap water with? Prime would be a good product for you to use with a 55 gallon tank.

swampy

Well I dumped about 25% of the tank and added warm water back ... took an ammonia test ( Jungle's ) and found water to at .5 :
well better safe than sorry ... Wife sez that the algae eaters don't move about ... so I guess they are OK ... will check tonight again .... also note to self to pick up a syphon system later ....
swampy
PS Betta , will check out that lit also

genie

For a tank as big as yours, I would try the Python system. It works with your tap to syphon and refill your tank. No buckets, no mess.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom