New Member Needing Help Identifying Growth

Daniel79
Hello my fellow aquarists! Sorry my first post is of needing help but my comet has become ill and I'm not sure if it's associated with this new growth on his body or some other ailment. The growth in question is on the fish's back just prior to the dorsal fin, looks very much like the head of an oranda Goldy (red and bumpy). The other issue he has had is what I believe to be HITH and I've removed all carbon from the tank. The linked video shows his current status:
A little history of the environment, 2yrs new 75 gal custom with 520gph canister. Ammonia 0-.15 pH 7- 7.5. Goldy the Comet is 3yrs old county fair "rescue" now 8-10 inch long bruiser.
Kind regards, Daniel

Crafty Cichlid
Goldiemom (are there other goldfish experts on here?)

Daniel79
Goldiemom (are there other goldfish experts on here?)
I appreciate your time in replying " Crafty Cichlid".

Crafty Cichlid
Until someone with more experiences with this kind of fish comes along, some general advice:

Add a picture, it's 2018, you've got a phone or something that'll do it

Keep the water clean, if your fish is sick, clean water won't hurt, but follow directions to any medications you use (if advised) to the T. If it says "stand on your head while you apply this medication," better start learning gymnastics, haha.

Check with your LFS if you don't hear back in a timely matter.

Daniel79
Until someone with more experiences with this kind of fish comes along, some general advice:

Add a picture, it's 2018, you've got a phone or something that'll do it

Keep the water clean, if your fish is sick, clean water won't hurt, but follow directions to any medications you use (if advised) to the T. If it says "stand on your head while you apply this medication," better start learning gymnastics, haha.

Check with your LFS if you don't hear back in a timely matter.

Greatly appreciated! Affirmative on the water changes and medication. Went through two cycles back to back of API Melafix and 50gal water changes in between. I do weekly 30gal water changes religiously to ensure low ammonia and nitrite levels since he's a large goldfish housed with an equally sized butterfly Koi. I'm comfortable saying water quality isn't currently an issue, but have only been in the hobby for +/- 5yrs and realize I've a lot to learn. As for a picture, I uploaded a video because every one of my pictures were blurry. He won't stay still long enough when the light is on.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the comet is occasionally bottom sitting for a few minutes at a time during daylight hours, which is a new behavior. The Koi however has always done this which I have read is common for them.

Crafty Cichlid
Your video didn't upload

I've been at this for the better part of my 32 years (I can only kinda remember a time when I didn't have fish) and still usually feel behind the learning curve, haha, so no worries!

Daniel79
Your video didn't upload

I've been at this for the better part of my 32 years (I can only kinda remember a time when I didn't have fish) and still usually feel behind the learning curve, haha, so no worries!
Oh sorry, you have to click the link and scroll to the bottom where it says "continue to website". It gives to option to download the app which is not necessary. Dropbox is safe and virus free.

Bryangar
Hello my fellow aquarists! Sorry my first post is of needing help but my comet has become ill and I'm not sure if it's associated with this new growth on his body or some other ailment. The growth in question is on the fish's back just prior to the dorsal fin, looks very much like the head of an oranda Goldy (red and bumpy). The other issue he has had is what I believe to be HITH and I've removed all carbon from the tank. The linked video shows his current status:
A little history of the environment, 2yrs new 75 gal custom with 520gph canister. Ammonia 0-.15 pH 7- 7.5. Goldy the Comet is 3yrs old county fair "rescue" now 8-10 inch long bruiser.
Kind regards, Daniel
HI there, Welcome to fishlore!

I hope you have future plans on putting them in ponds because they will get stunted, if not already. The comet should be at least a foot by now and the koi almost the same, if not bigger, they do get up to 3 feet.

That small bump on his back might be a tumor, what does it feel like?

I am unsure of what that scratch is on his face, I could not see it clear enough to say exactly. But it does not look like HITH. Does he have any sharp objects in the tank?

Is melafix the only thing you have added to the tank that you would consider a big change? Or have you changed anything else? You said your ammonia is 0-.15, what are your other parameters? Nitrite, nitrate?

Goldiemom
So sorry for not being on the site today yet but babysitting grandkids. I don’t see anything looking like HITH.. The growth puzzles me. Looks like extra skin cells may have multiplied causing the growth or it could be a tumor. Some tumors are benign and aren’t cancerous. Gypsy13, what do you think?

Daniel79
HI there, Welcome to fishlore!

I hope you have future plans on putting them in ponds because they will get stunted, if not already. The comet should be at least a foot by now and the koi almost the same, if not bigger, they do get up to 3 feet.

That small bump on his back might be a tumor, what does it feel like?

I am unsure of what that scratch is on his face, I could not see it clear enough to say exactly. But it does not look like HITH. Does he have any sharp objects in the tank?

Is melafix the only thing you have added to the tank that you would consider a big change? Or have you changed anything else? You said your ammonia is 0-.15, what are your other parameters? Nitrite, nitrate?
Thank you for your input Answering your questions in order: 1. I do not have plans to re-home the comet at this time but do plan to move him and the Koi to a custom 225gal this summer as funds allow. The goldfish is my daughter's and the butterfly Koi is full grown and is not expected to get much bigger than 14in. 2. I have not "felt" the growth but it looks soft. 3. There were large rocks in the tank about a month ago but I removed them after witnessing the fish bumping into them, I also considered those marks on his head being scar tissue from rocks or perhaps the old heater I removed that the protective coating had worn off. 4. Other treatments I have tried are aquarium salt dose and API stress coat. 5. Not sure on the nitrite/ nitrate levels, replacement master kit on order. This is why I'm currently doing large water changes weekly.
Kind regards, Daniel

Daniel79
So sorry for not being on the site today yet but babysitting grandkids. I don’t see anything looking like high. The growth puzzles me. Looks like extra skin cells may have multiplied causing the growth or it could be a tumor. Some tumors are benign and aren’t cancerous. Gypsy13, what do you think?
Gratitude for your time. At this time the comet seems healthy and happy, but still cautious about a possible undetermined problem. I just want to make sure he's getting the best possible care I can give.

Gypsy13
HI guys. Vocal problems today.
Tell me. Same color as underplaying skin? Sounds more like scar tissue than tumor. If changes color or continues to grow, let us know? Salt ok but melafix isn’t. Can actually disturb slime coat on large scaled fish. Could you please describe hole/scratch? In exhausting detail? Every little detail.

Sorry. Welcome to fishlore. We need you. And not all koi become three ft long. Just sayin.

Goldiemom
Hey, Gypsy! I was trying to quickly respond while picking a kid up from football camp earlier. I do think it is a scrape or cut that healed over and cells made extra scar tissue. It looks healthy in color, no black or decay. I don’t see anything looking like HITH. Fish s beautiful and looks healthy and well cared for. It sounds like you are planning ahead with the large tank and your fish should be fine. I’m jealous, I wish I had room for a tank that size. I have to go outside to my patio to watch my beautiful comets and shubunkin. They grew in a 29G for their first 5 months.

Gypsy13
We think your fish is beautiful and heathy. You seem to understand the needs of goldfish and koi. I would love to hear more about your aquarium and your future aquarium as well. I too am jealous. Extremely jealous! If anything changes with your finbabies, jump in. But do share your pictures. There’s a whole section dedicated to aquarium pics. I love to hear all about them. Continue doing the wonderful job you are.

Daniel79
Gypsy13, Goldimom and everyone who took the time to share my worry; I am super thankful for your thoughtful responses! Goldie and Flo are back to normal and acting like a couple teenagers without a care. I'll upload some pics of my setups and provide some information on this operation.
Best regards, Daniel

Gypsy13
Gypsy13, Goldimom and everyone who took the time to share my worry; I am super thankful for your thoughtful responses! Goldie and Flo are back to normal and acting like a couple teenagers without a care. I'll upload some pics of my setups and provide some information on this operation.
Best regards, Daniel

We’ll be waiting anxiously!

stella1979
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I love goldies though I am not terribly experienced with them. You've got some wonderful advisors here though. I just wanted to say that I too will look forward to seeing more about your setup and plans.

Gypsy13 - I very much enjoy reading your posts and hope you're feeling better soon.

JLeeM
I'm not much help on goldies (yet), but GoldFiska is another good person for that in the future.

Gypsy13 get well soon!

Top Bottom