New member. Looking for help to return a Bettas health back to normal

Poncho845

Reaction score
so long story short i’m trying to help a betta fish return to a healthy state. It has fin rot, would kind of just point directly upwards in the tank and now it just sort of lays on it’s side. It’s still breathing but is not very active. I did a lot of research, bought proper things to help with overall dish wellness and disease cure and thought I was doing everything right.

I’m being careful with this I just don’t know if it’s working and that’s what’s frustrating. Can anyone here help me help this little guy? He has a good tank, filter, temperature is fine and all the stuff he needs I believe to rid him of any ailments.

Is this common with Bettas??

LanceDog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your profile says you aren't aware of the nitrogen cycle so read up on that first, if you don't know about it. Do you have a liquid test kit to test parameters? What size tank is he in and what's the actual temp? Any tankmates?

Is it common with bettas? Probably because there is so much misinformation about them. But a betta (or any fish) will not normally act like this and it is not okay.

Teh Baker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fin-rot is a common disease and usually results from a fungal or bacterial infection due to bad water quality. To answer your question, yes, its pretty common in bettas, especially from stores that sell them out of plastic cups. Dont feel bad, because its probably not your fault the little guy got it but just know that the quality of your aquarium water is very important. You should read up about aquarium cycling, water quality and water changes. At this point you will probably need to medicate the tank or fish to clear it up.

OP
P

Poncho845

Reaction score
LanceDog said:
Your profile says you aren't aware of the nitrogen cycle so read up on that first, if you don't know about it. Do you have a liquid test kit to test parameters? What size tank is he in and what's the actual temp? Any tankmates?

Is it common with bettas? Probably because there is so much misinformation about them. But a betta (or any fish) will not normally act like this and it is not okay.
I’m new to this so forgive my ignorance. I’m really just trying to help this poor guy out. I have a big heart for animals haha. So I just tried a test kit in the tank he’s in now and this is what i’m reading

General hardness - 30
Carbonate hardness - 80
PH - 7.5
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 0

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Poncho845 said:
I’m new to this so forgive my ignorance. I’m really just trying to help this poor guy out. I have a big heart for animals haha. So I just tried a test kit in the tank he’s in now and this is what i’m reading

General hardness - 30
Carbonate hardness - 80
PH - 7.5
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 0
What about ammonia

OP
P

Poncho845

Reaction score
I’ve just read up on the cycling. That is actually something I was doing without knowing the exact terminology.

But for the levels in the tank - those are in a ‘rehab tank’ my girlfriend is using. So could it be the conditions of the tank he was in before were just so bad with toxins and water hardness? I feel like I’m attacking this from behind and have to make progress on something that probably preexisted for awhile.
gregoranddexter1816 said:
What about ammonia
Unfortunately I am unable to get to a pet store at the moment to purchase an ammonia testing kit but what I do have (when my partner picked up a few things is Betta Water Conditioner which says it’s removes toxic compounds such as ammonia?

OP
P

Poncho845

Reaction score
gregoranddexter1816 said:
What about ammonia
Unfortunately I am unable to get to a pet store at the moment to purchase an ammonia testing kit but what I do have (when my partner picked up a few things is Betta Water Conditioner which says it’s removes toxic compounds such as ammonia? I can grab a ammonia test ASAP in the morning.

OP
P

Poncho845

Reaction score
LanceDog said:

Sorry I thought I replied to this. His usual is a 5 gallon and he shares it with a small Pleco. The temperature is usually 78. I currently have him in a 1.5 gallon to try to rehab him. I’ve done cleaning on both tanks have tested the levels.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Poncho845 said:
Sorry I thought I replied to this. His usual is a 5 gallon and he shares it with a small Pleco. The temperature is usually 78. I currently have him in a 1.5 gallon to try to rehab him. I’ve done cleaning on both tanks have tested the levels.
correct me if I am wrong, but plecos can't be kept in 5 gallon tanks.

OP
P

Poncho845

Reaction score
bgntoc said:
correct me if I am wrong, but plecos can't be kept in 5 gallon tanks.
I have the type that grows only to be 3 inches and was told it was ok?

Hugooo

Reaction score
Hi. From what I can tell, you are using the API 5 in 1 Test Strips, correct? If so, I recommend you to get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, one of the most reliable and affordable liquid test kits there are. While at the pet store, get a bottle of Seachem Prime. It is a water conditioner but it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for 24ish hours, making it harmless to your fish. And it's pretty cheap. You are going through New Tank Syndrome, so do 50% water changes every other day and always treat with Prime. What kind of filter do you have? If you have filter cartridges, don't change them every 6 weeks like recommended. Change them very rarely. They hold the majority of your beneficial bacteria. I also agree with bgntoc; plecos cannot be kept in 5 gallons. Try to identify exactly what kind of pleco you have and post it here.

OP
P

Poncho845

Reaction score
Hugooo said:
Hi. From what I can tell, you are using the API 5 in 1 Test Strips, correct? If so, I recommend you to get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, one of the most reliable and affordable liquid test kits there are. While at the pet store, get a bottle of Seachem Prime. It is a water conditioner but it also detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for 24ish hours, making it harmless to your fish. And it's pretty cheap. You are going through New Tank Syndrome, so do 50% water changes every other day and always treat with Prime. What kind of filter do you have? If you have filter cartridges, don't change them every 6 weeks like recommended. Change them very rarely. They hold the majority of your beneficial bacteria. I also agree with bgntoc; plecos cannot be kept in 5 gallons. Try to identify exactly what kind of pleco you have and post it here.
Ah man this is upsetting. I was trying to do the right thing. The person who worked at the pet store recommended a small pleco as a great addition to a 5 gallon.

The filter I have is a top fin RF-L.

Attached is the Pleco I have when I first got it.

**edit - Yes, you are correct. I have the API 5 in 1 testing kit.

Attachments

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Poncho845 said:
Ah man this is upsetting. I was trying to do the right thing. The person who worked at the pet store recommended a small pleco as a great addition to a 5 gallon.

I use the same filter as you. Do you have the sleek tank with the white background?

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Poncho845 said:

Lol I can't identify the pleco. Did they tell you what kind it was? Has he grown a lot yet?

OP
P

Poncho845

Reaction score
bgntoc said:
Lol I can't identify the pleco. Did they tell you what kind it was? Has he grown a lot yet?
I believe it’s a clown Pleco?? I haven’t had it very long so I’m not seeing much growth yet.

New Threads