New Member -intro

baltimoron

Reaction score
We are relatively new to the tropical fish and invert. experience. Have found reading these threads so helpful the last couple months. Thank you for providing a resource like this.
We have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with Guppies, corries, tetras, Kuli loaches, Ghost and Vampire Shrimp, and 3 mystery snails. We have taken this on as a science learning activity for our family - in addition to all of the joy and beauty that they bring. Great education for young minds.

If anyone felt like responding - we do have a question - one of our Mystery snails laid eggs last night - I am concerned about the bio-load of hatching the clutch and raising them in this already fairly full tank. Would like to raise them and take them to our LFS for credit. Thoughts on when I'd have to move the babies before they overload the filter system? Have a penguin 150 - running with 2 filters - water parameters are stable (very hard water - but - otherwise - pH 7.2, Kh 6, Nitrite 0, Nitrate very low, no ammonia, tank is kept at 76F.

Lots of live plants, 2 large chunks of Malayan drift wood, 2 large cholla wood chunks - multiple moss balls (mostly for our shrimp population).

Thanks!

Attachments

Kitley

Reaction score
Wecome to this wonderful forum. I am newish and can not help, but I am sure someone will come along soon.

kymob

Reaction score
no worries reading other info helps so much

kymob

Reaction score
One of the topics I want to learn about is treatment of betta diseases there are so many medications out there.

kymob

Reaction score
And want to get another betta not from over seas and not from Petco.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
baltimoron said:
We are relatively new to the tropical fish and invert. experience. Have found reading these threads so helpful the last couple months. Thank you for providing a resource like this.
We have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with Guppies, corries, tetras, Kuli loaches, Ghost and Vampire Shrimp, and 3 mystery snails. We have taken this on as a science learning activity for our family - in addition to all of the joy and beauty that they bring. Great education for young minds.

If anyone felt like responding - we do have a question - one of our Mystery snails laid eggs last night - I am concerned about the bio-load of hatching the clutch and raising them in this already fairly full tank. Would like to raise them and take them to our LFS for credit. Thoughts on when I'd have to move the babies before they overload the filter system? Have a penguin 150 - running with 2 filters - water parameters are stable (very hard water - but - otherwise - pH 7.2, Kh 6, Nitrite 0, Nitrate very low, no ammonia, tank is kept at 76F.

Lots of live plants, 2 large chunks of Malayan drift wood, 2 large cholla wood chunks - multiple moss balls (mostly for our shrimp population).

Thanks!
Welcome to Fishlore :)

I've never had the opportunity to hatch and raise mystery snails but am interested so spend time reading other folks experiences. I am sure you can do a search here and get some good pointers on how best to handle yours. I have read that you can pull the eggs out and put them in some kind of covered container with a wet paper towel in it. Over time they will hatch and can be raised in their own container. I say container instead of tank because they won't need a full blown setup to grow and thrive. I am sure they will need a heater and filter though.

Hopefully someone that has hatched them will stop by but if not you may want to start a thread in the proper section of the forum and I am sure someone that knows a lot more than I do will be able to help you.

New Threads