New Member Here, but what about RO water?

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by RyanGrimes15, Jul 12, 2015.

1. R

RyanGrimes15 New Member Member

I recently found this website and have been a fish keeper for a long while. I'm Ryan by the way. I have a few tanks.

55 Gal (newest tank)
    Gold Nugget pleco named Lucky
    1 Electric Yellow Cichlid

25 Gal (my most mature tank)
    1 Female Veiltale Betta
    3 Corey Cats (2 being Serebi and the other Juli)
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    1 Clown Pleco
    1 Red Wag Platy
    3 Tetras ( black phantom, white long skirt and red Sherpae)

5 Gal
    3 African Dwarf Frogs

Now that I got that out of the way. I am looking into a new form of water since we have hard water that 7.6 where I live. It also has high ammonia from the rain we get which doesn't help. I am considering using Reverse Osmosis water for my tanks. Any personal experiences?

If any of you are curious I do have an aqueon filter on my 5, a marineland biowheel penguin filter on my 25 and a Fluval canister 306 on my 55.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. OP
    OP
    R

RyanGrimes15 New Member Member

Thanks I really appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to help anytime!

Ken :)

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Just wanted to say welcome to fishlore!

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Just jumping in to say hi and welcome to Fish Lore!!!! :D

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I use ro for top ups but treated tap for water changes. As stated if you only ise ro water you will have tovadd trace elements

8. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, Welcome to fishlore :;hi2

I have used both tap and R/O water. My tap has nitrates of 50 right now but they can go as high as 80 (I'm on a private well near farm land).

With R/O water you will need to add in a product like Seachem's Replenish or Equilibrium (I use replenish). Probably a good idea to also add in trace minerals like their fresh trace product. You will need to have a buffer of some sort like crushed coral, limestone or aragonite sand to increase your KH (carbonate hardness) which will buffer your water and hold your ph. These products will also increase your GH so if you go with a substrate like that you may not need Replenish. If you already have a substrate you can put crushed coral in a mesh bag and put it into your filters. This will do the same thing for you.

You should get a GH/KH test kit if you don't already have one and the API master kit so you can keep track of your water parameters.

9. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

You can use RO water in freshwater tanks as long as you add the trace elements to the water before doing a water change. A buffer also isn't a bad idea to get yourself a stable pH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice