New member, despondent re: apathetic guppy

LnX

Reaction score
Hello, All -

First time member, long(ish) time reader.  I have a six-week-old tropical tank and I love it (fishies detailed in signature, I think ...)!  I have lots of questions though, since I'm new to this, so thanks for keeping such a forum going.  It's comforting to know there's help available.

Here's my issue: I have a 20 gal. tank and one of my newest additions, a female guppy called "Yolanda" hasn't been eating, though she has been going to the top of the tank with the others at feeding time. Even when the occasional flake falls in front of her, she'll chase it but won't eat it. She looks perfectly healthy, if a little small, but I'm worried. Is there anything I can do?

Cheers,
LnX 

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe adding a few more Guppies would do the trick, since Livebearers tend to be quite comfy in schools of six and more... BTW, welcome aboard.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fish Lore

When there is anything wrong with someone's fish, the first thing I always ask for are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. So if you could post them, that would be very good.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore

Austin

LnX

Reaction score
Hiya -

Thanks (to all!) for your welcome and responses! The water seems to be fine: pH = 7.2; Ammonia = 0; Nitrites = 0; Nitrates = 0; Temp. = 76F. I vacuumed the gravel and did a 20% water change (as I do basically every week) and the numbers seem to pretty much stay in this range. All the other fishies are happy and thriving, including the two other guppies (one male, one female), my sad one arrived with. She's visibly suffering now, although there's nothing obviosly wrong with her little body so I just don't know what to do now. I'm not sure she'll make it through another night. Do I try to end it for her more quickly or see if she'll somehow miraculously recover? I don't want her to suffer but I also don't want the others to get sick ...

Any other thoughts?

Yrs,
LnX

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In that case, she may be simply still adjusting to her new home. Another possibility is that you could have bought her sick already. Still another possibility is that she could have gotten sick from inappropriate acclimatization or no acclimatization at all. Many diseases start by the loss of appetite actually.

LnX

Reaction score
It's a miracle! She's doing sooooo much better! I thought she'd die overnight at least two nights in a row but then the other morning, she started going after food and actually eating it. She's been getting progressively stronger - and feistier - for the past two days. Yay! I'm hoping the trend continues.

Thanks for the feedback!
LnX

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

How long has the tank been set up? With no nitrates, I'd say your tank was new and not cycled. Please make sure you understand the cycling process. There is a sticky in the beginners forum for you to click on for some great help. It's called "FishLore Articles for Beginners". Please keep us posted on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. We will help you get through this.

LnX

Reaction score
Hi, again -

Well, after her apparent recovery, my fishie died two days ago, but some others were born! The tank is about two months old now so I think it should be nearly cycled if it isn't yet, though I understand the concern. Now I've got this one baby guppy I call "teeny little superguy" and he's in a little plastic breeder tank inside my big tank where he's safe from the nasty fishies who seem to have eaten his siblings. Now I just have to keep him alive long enough so he can grow big and strong ... tricky. Advice?

Thanks!
LnX

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom