New media...bad?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by benjaminBreaker, Apr 12, 2010.

1. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreakerValued MemberMember

Today was the day I replaced my filter media. It was literally black, and was falling apart. I replaced it with a new cartridge, but now I'm worried about my tank. It's a tad over stocked, 20 gallon tank with 4 dalmatian mollies, 4 black mollies, 4 red wag platies, and 6 ghost shrimp. According to the inch per gallon rule, I'm 8 gallons over.(platies and blacks being 2 inches, and dalmatians being 3. Shrimp not included.)
    After the devastation in my brother's tank, I'm worried sick about ammonia poisoning. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and find all of my fish dead. I still have the old cartridge, I can wash it now and put it back in if I need to. All of my old gravel and plants are there, All I took out were a few pieces of driftwood because they were turning my water brown and my little driftwood ornament because it fell apart. I've added a few live plants to the tank, I took a few strands of Cabomba, a few leaves of Java fern that were growing shoots, and of course my java moss is in there still. I added some chemicals to the water, dechlorinater after a 50% water change, some water clarifying chemicals and some Tetra EasyBalance( ) and 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt. Also, the tank is cloudy right now, it's been cloudy for a few days now...bacterial bloom, perhaps? After adding new water and stirring the gravel up real good? I rearranged just about everything in the tank.

I don't have a test kit right now, so I know that will be a problem. Should I clean the old media and put it back in?

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I would say yes you should. Rinse only in dechlorinated water, chlorine will kill the bacteria.

And if you need to change the filter out, stick the new one in the tank for a month so it seeds, and after the month, you can do the replacement

3. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

How long was the old cartridge in the filter? When I do water changes in my tanks, I just take out the filter cartridge and rinse it in the old tank water then stick it back in the filter. The ONLY time I replace a cartridge is when it is literally falling apart. I usually keep an extra cartridge sitting in my filter for a couple of weeks when I think my old cartridge is about to "give up the ghost," so to speak. Now that I have a canister filter on my 55gal, I usually just keep a couple of extra cartridges for my smaller tanks sitting in the media trays in the canister so that when I need them, I can pull them out and use them.

As long as the tank is established, there will be some beneficial bacteria living in the gravel and on the decorations. You might get a small spike in ammonia while the bacteria re-establishes itself on your filter media, but it shouldn't be *too* bad.

4. OP
    OP
    benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreakerValued MemberMember

I'll wash it out and put it back in behind the new media, that way the bacteria will be in the filter and will move over to the new cartridge faster. Does that sound good?

5. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

That's probably work just fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice