New Marbled Angelfish Wont Eat....

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
On Saturday, I went with my uncle to an amazing aquarium shop, and I purchased 2 medium sized, 2 inch (not including fins), angelfish (and some live brine shrimp plus an anonymous plant, but that's not important). There's a silver/spotted one, and a black marbled one.After introducing them to the tank, I put in some live shrimp to see if they would take some. They didn't have a go at it, but all the other fish did. I thought I would just leave them for a few hours at least before trying again.

I came back the next day trying to get them to eat. I tried flakes and frozen blood worms (at this stage the brine shrimp were gone). They both tried it, but after about 2 bites, the spat it out and gave up. I tried again on Monday and they started eating blood worms. This swept my stress away completely. I always get worried about introducing angels, it's such a issue with me, I don't know why....

Anyways, one of them has completely settled in, eating out of my fingers and eating just as aggressively as the two previous angels. The second one, however, has stopped eating. He is skinny, and the other three angels are nice and round.

I tried feeding them some frozen blood worms, and the three angels ate right out of my fingers, while the marbled one just picked at the few that sunk down. I noticed he wasn't actually eating them, just picking at them, then spitting them out. What does this mean?

What's wrong? Why isn't he eating? Is there anyway I can try to make the blood worms look more appetising to him?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thnx

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angels take some time to settle in for sure...but sounds also like it could be bullying or overcrowding ....4 angels in a 55g with all the other fish you have, hes probably low man/woman in the pecking order......even when fish are small, they can be bullies...

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ohh... thanks for that... I'll have to move some fish around or something...

Thnx : ) more help will still be appreciated ^_^

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if the angel was sik inside the poo will be a different colour like a white dipends on what is rong with it. but it sounds more like he is the just the runt of the tank.

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is still extremely very not good. He's still going for the food, takes it into his mouth, then spits it out about a second later. I haven't seen him leave any food in his mouth for more than a few seconds.

What do you think I should do, anyone??

Thnx

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shezzbanger 42 said:
This is still extremely very not good. He's still going for the food, takes it into his mouth, then spits it out about a second later. I haven't seen him leave any food in his mouth for more than a few seconds.

What do you think I should do, anyone??

Thnx
thats normal eating for most fish....as long as hes eating now, thats a good sign .

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Again, this morning (about 9 hours ago) tried feeding again, and still just pecking, then spitting out....

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, it's been well over a week since I purchased him, and I still haven't seen him actually eat a worm. Still just nipping it, then spitting it out afterwards.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear that your new Angel is causing you stress.

Try soaking the food in Garlic Juice or just add a couple of drops onto the food. You can purchase minced garlic in a jar from the grocery store. Make sure it's in water and not oil. Garlic helps to boost the immune system and is a food enhancer. Examples of garlic in the link below:
minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it

Garlic Guard from the pet store will do the same thing.

Best wishes!
Ken

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I noticed with my fish if the flakes or such were big, they would take it in then spit it out a few times. I then tried crushing the flakes a little smaller and they would eat a small flake in one bite. So, maybe try cutting up a worm to small bits?

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I figured it out! Lol! This little guy isn't an aggressive eater, and he is also very, very picky. He won't accept flakes, or frozen blood worms, but he does happily accept live brine shrimp, though even then, he spits out the ones he doesn't like, lol. At least he's eating something : P

I plan on getting some live brine shrimp every other week for him to snack on, and tomorrow, I am going to go down to my LFS to purchase some frozen brine shrimp, hopefully he will accept the frozen ones like he did with the live ones.

Thanks for everyones help, I will let you know if he does start eating by tomorrow.

Thnx

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, still not eating frozen foods, only the live brine shrimp has his interest. The frozen brine he still just picks and then spits it out. Unlike the frozen blood worms, however, he doesn't give up as quick, he tries a more than he use to... Still no food bulges though.

I guess all he's going to eat is live foods : ( I'm not made of money :S

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I would suggest trying the garlic juice added to the food as I mentioned in post #10 before giving up on frozen food completely.

Good luck,
Ken

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I got the opposite of your issue. The two Marbled I got the other week are very eager for flake food. Thou, I think they learning this habit from the Basset Hounds.

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you AQ48 : ) He's finally started eating, But I'll keep that in mind next time ^_^

thnx everyone

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom