New Male Lyretail Swordtail

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

I just bought 3 red-eyed swordtails, 1 male lyretail, 1 female lyretail and 1 normal female. The male's gonopodium is quite long and not that straight, i was wondering if he is still able to breed with the other females?

2. Luke 16 Initiate Member

Your Lyretail swordtail will still be able 2 breed no probs i hav a female lyretail swordtail that i have bread sucessfully ;D

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

cool thanks

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

This is a an old topic but for anyone one out there breeding lyretail swords I found out some info.
    Male lyretails cannot breed with females as they are unable to fertilize the female due to the long gonopodium but females that are lyretails can breed with normal males.

So for anyone wishing to breed lyretail Swordtails you have to get a norma male and a lyretail female and according to an experiment undertaken in Hawaii the results are 50% normal and 50% lyretail so happy breeding...

Unfortunately mine cannot breed so I'll have to get another lyretail female and a normal male...

5. onelovie Member Member

Just three weeks ago, my female lyretail bred with my normal male sword and now I have two babies! :)

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

Congratulations! How old are they?
    Hope they are lyretails they look so cool.

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds very pretty, don't think I've seen lyretails. Possibility of pictures? :) Not an odd topic is the breeding forum after all ;)
    Carol

8. onelovie Member Member

The babies were born the first part of September...I forget which day. I'm not sure if they'll be lyretail or regular swords. So far they just look like female swordtails (no sword) but I think the males don't develop their swords until they are a bit older. If my lyretail would sit still long enough, I could try to take her pic to post on here! But she doesn't seem very cooperative!