New male...I HOPE!

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by critter_fritter79, Apr 1, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I am not even close to being expert at sexing angelfish, but I am pretty sure this is a male...For any of you that don't know..I had about a dozen angels at one time. One was bigger than the rest and one day decided it didn't like any of the others and killed them all pretty much overnight. Shawnie and a few others on here said she is for sure a SHE. I found this beauty today and thought maybe she would like him better. The first pic is my female, the rest the new guy. He is in a bag floating in the big tank, but he is NOT going in there. I have a cycled 20g tank set up for the both of them, but it is a little warmer than the community tank and I didn't want to shock him so I started his acclimation to the temp in the big tank, then moved the bag to his new tank. I know he needs to be solo for a while to make sure he is healthy...no worries!! She was intently checking out the bag though....hope she likes him and that he IS a he!!

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

looks like a he to me!
    but take HER out and re arrange the tank......test HIS water in the bag for ph and compare to yours...ph shock can kill angels fast.....put HIM back in the tank with the decorations all in different areas and add HER back to the tank after a good hour....be ready for HER to still not tolerate anyone.....hope it works out

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I thought maybe she would accept him better if she was in new surroundings too...and I would hate to have them pair up and get violent with my betta girls, so that is why I aam using the 20g barebottom for them...would it be better for me to just qt him in the 20?

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful Angels Critter!
    Sorry to hear about your losses. That had to have been tough on you. :(
    Best wishes for the new one and the pair once you have them together.
    Keep us posted.
    Ken

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

He's beautiful! She's a lucky girl :)
    If their going into the 20g and it's empty it would be a great Q tank, then add her later. I would recommend some plants (artificial or real) to break up their line of site and to be able to get away from each other.
    In my experience unless angels are put in a barebottom just to breed they don't do well with a totally barebottom tank because of the reflections. They just seem to spook and be a lot more nervous. watch for them to grow to make sure they have ample room for fin growth.
    carol

6. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I can definitely handle plants! I am not going to absolutely try to breed them but if they do...hey I am already up to my elbows in bett fry...whats a few more..lol! So far in the 20 I have put a clay pot and 3 bunches of those plants with the rock bottoms. I found those on sale one day and have a surplus of them!

The ph in his bag was 7.4 and mine is 7.8 so I added some black water extract to he tank to bring the ph down a little. After it was added the ph was pretty close to the same as in his bag.

I am guessing he is another big guy that was brought to that store to be rehomed as he has an injury I didn't notice until I got him in clean water with good lighting. It seems to be a healing injury with no redness or signs of infection, but it is a BIG spot. Is there anything I should do for it, or just watch it for signs of infection? I should mention that he is kind of hanging out in the corner near the top. He isn't gasping but he also didn't eat this morning...just hanging near the surface..

Attached Files:

7. Butterfly

Good clean water and observation should do it.
    As for hanging out at the top he may just be stressed keep an eye on him. Keep an eye out as to how he reacts to the bare bottom too. You could always put something under the tank so it doesn't reflect. One of our local LFS has something under their tanks that makes it look like they have gravel in the tank and they don't put substrate in their tanks.
    Carol

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

he doesn't seem to be having any trouble with his reflection and they both seem to have really enjoyed the glimpse the got of each other last night...it is confirmed he is a he and she is a she...her egg tube is showing and it looks like her belly is getting a little round and his little barb is also showing. I wonder if he is depressed from seeing her but not being put with her? He did move to the other side of the tank a few minutes ago and isn't as close to the surface as before. He is swimming level too, not pointed towards the surface..

9. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

wow thats a pretty big injury...I wouldnt add ANY other fish with him until you get him healed.....and for future fish, you dont need to add anything to adjust the ph...just take more time acclimating them....keep doing daily partial water changes and keep him warm...

10. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

Absolutely doing those water changes! He is eating a little now and seems more lively. As for the black water extract, I was told that the angels like it... Is that not right?? If that isn't right I will definately not be adding anymore of it! The spot looks to me like some other aggressive fish was bullying him... He is already showing such a sweet personality... I am thinking about naming him Romeo!

11. Butterfly

The black water extract is absolutely not necessary, still remove it gradually because it does affect pH.
    Carol

12. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

Thanks for the advice Carol! I have had some pretty bad luck with angels in the past and i am sure bad advice had more than a little to do with it!! I am so glad to know I can get GOOD advice here! I will slowly back off the dose so I don't shock him...he is more active this morning and checking things out more. I figured out why he was at the top! I had tote lids across the top of the tank to keep the kitty out..he loves to "play" with fish! The big female actually bites at his paws, but I figured he would scare this new one...but when I took the lids off the angel woke right up and got really happy! He just doesn't like the lids on the top!

13. Butterfly

If I lay something across the top of the angel tank they all will come and stare at it :;dk maybe they think it's going to feed them LOL. Glad to know he's perking up. Bet he would appreciate some thawed frozen blood worms :) Keep us posted please!
    Carol

14. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

He is not doing good now...he hasn't eaten since I posted last and a little while ago I thought I had lost him. He was floating on his side at the top. He is now upright again, but hasn't been active at all. He is hanging out right under the water falling from the filter. I have done 50% wc's on the tank daily since I brought him home, and his injury is actually looking much better, but I am afraid I am losing him now!

15. fishdude360

fishdude360 Valued Member Member

i wish you luck

16. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

well the worst has happened. The poor little guy died sometime during the night...

17. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Poor little guy......I'm sorry you lost him Critter......

18. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

sorry to hear about you lost angel :(

19. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

I don't have a clue why all the angelfish I get die like this...The big female is the only one I have had for any lenght of time...I think I am just going to stick to my bettas and forget trying to get any more angels...

20. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost him. RIP little angel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice