New Loaches: Botia modesta & Syncrossus helodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We were at Petco and they had Botia modesta (redtail blue loach). They were very pale and lethargic and of course there were salt containers in their tank.
I asked for three and the young lady said due to the fact that they would probably die with the salt if I would take them she would give me the fourth one free just to get it out of the tank.
Then in the next tank was a Syncrossus helodes formerly Botia helodes(banded tiger loach). If I would take him I could just have him. She marked him up as an adoption fish.
The Modestas are in a 30g long fattening up and acclimating although I had already acclimated them to freshwater for about 1 1/2 hour. I don't think their ready to compete for food.

The modestas will go into a 75g since they will get relatively large. And the helodes will go into a 55g for a time.
The first pic is the modesta right out of the bag
#2 is the helodes
#3 & 4 are the modesta about three hours later in the 30g long.
Carol

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had asked one of the guys if he could order them but they never came in. It's been a month I guess since I had checked for them. So I was there for frozen food and found these guys swimming around and kind of floating a little. The next couple of days will be touch and go but I'm hoping they will be OK.
Carol

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good luck with them Carol. I'm sure they'll do great in your care.
Keep us posted!

I'm wondering why they were in salt since someone there obviously knew better!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petco has instituted the policy of keeping salt tubs in each tank regardless of the fish in that tank. Their rationale is to prevent parasites and disease. I have it on good authority their fish losses have gone up since they have started doing this.
Remember that's how/where I got my Dojos too.
Carol

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quite adorable little guys, I hope they make it through.
My local petco never carries loaches and they look at me weird when I ask them, so that's pretty cool yours has such a selection. Though it's a shame about the salt containers. I was stunned by how many dead fish they had in their tanks the last time I went to mine.

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've been wanting a helode loach! I like their style. Good luck!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been wanting a helode loach! I like their style. Good luck!
Thanks! They are best in groups and can be a little aggressive. If I see more I will buy him some buddies but I'm not going to ask them to order them. They can get quite large. I seem to inadvertently have a thing for large loaches LOL
The tank he is going into has larger fast swimming fish so I think they will be fine.
I just fed the Modesta some blood worms and they acted like they didn't know what they were but they did eventually eat them. They can get to 10 inches but most usually seven inches in captivity.
They are already the prettiest blue and the helodes has taken up with a cave that will have to go in the tank he gets moved to
Carol

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol, I do! That was a fun thread.
They're really beautiful fish and look like they're adapting well.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I remember the moss head! It had a net over it, right?

I love love love red tail botias! *Adds to fish wish list *

Beautiful fish you got there Carol!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats Carol!

Beautiful loaches! I know you must be thrilled. I think that was very nice of your PetCo employee too. I also have the same information that all PetCo's are to use salt in all of their tanks

I remember the Moss head!

Please keep us posted and best wishes. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those fish are gorgeous and that head is just outstanding!!! I gotta get me one of those!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are gorgeous! The look like little sharks almost.

Hmmm....ya got me thinking now
Yep BB they are really cool little fish. By the end of the evening they were chasing each other all over the tank. From all the research I've done in the past and present say they only get to 7 inches in captivity.
They do look a little like little sharks at this size but they will bulk up a bit I think.

I love the java man head also. He has a coating of algae on him and java moss for hair but one side keeps raising up like a bad toupee LOL The Java Moss just doesn't want to stick on that side. I think the Corys and BNs disturbed it too much.
The Syncrossus is still being a little shy. i imagine because he's alone.
Carol
carol

jeca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Donald Trump hairdo? Ha ha! Your loaches are beautiful congrats! I think my guppies would make to much of a bio load if they saw that thing swimmin around the bottom. Oh well. Score one for the fish lovers! :;soldier

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Donald Trump hairdo? Ha ha! Your loaches are beautiful congrats! I think my guppies would make to much of a bio load if they saw that thing swimmin around the bottom. Oh well. Score one for the fish lovers! :;soldier
Definately a Donald trump hairdo

Lost the Syncrossus helodes I think he was just too far gone. He stayed hidden and I never saw him come out to eat.

The Botia modesta are still doing great.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom