New little buddy

1. MikeLambert Initiate Member

So my daughter got to bring home a crayfish from her 3rd grade class as they had a bunch of them they were using to learn. From what I can tell, he looks like a procambarus alleni possibly?

He was pretty inactive in the little tank we used to bring him home in, but today we setup a 10 gallon tank for him with a couple hiding places, could use 1 or 2 more. Once he came out he's been super active, exploring all over everything. He keeps trying to climb up the intake on our pump, but from what I've seen that's pretty normal.

IMG_0165.JPG IMG_0163.JPG

Attached Files:

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Very cute! Yep just make sure there are no small openings of any kind on the lid. Crayfish are excellent escape artists and your little buddy is already showing that by climbing up the intake!

3. MikeLambert Initiate Member

Pretty sure he's just showing off at this point.

IMG_0167.JPG

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok... well you've been warned :)

5. MikeLambert Initiate Member

Guess who molted today? Wife freaked me out and sent me a picture his molt, both or our first instincts were he didn't make it, but the shell came off perfectly clean and complete. He's just chillin under one of his hiding places for now.

6. Skyy2112 Member Member

He'll chill til hes all 'healed'. But the initial moving container was stressing him so he didnt move much, and was preparing to molt. PS if he molted really well that is usually meaning you have gpod calcium!

7. MikeLambert Initiate Member

He's not back to full speed yet, but he's roaming his tank a little, ate the whole shell within 24 hours, snacked a little today on some food. He seems pretty happy though.

He's noticeably bigger than he was last week, esp his pincers

8. MikeLambert Initiate Member

So I think he's been getting more comfortable in his tank. I think he believes he's in charge now.

Whenever I get near his tank, he throws up his claws and charges the glass, staring me down. Anyone else experience this with theirs?

IMG_0176.JPG

9. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

He does that because he is protecting his territory. He is warning you to back off. I would also get a 20gal for this guy. They get six inches and a 20gal for one crayfish is the minimum.

10. mg13 Well Known Member Member

OMG! That's so cute I'm almost jealous!