New Likes System

Mike

Just added a new "likes" system. At the bottom of each post you can now choose to rate a post by picking one of several options:

full.jpg

Let's see how it goes.

Note: if the negative type ratings get out of hand we can always delete them.

Platylover

Hehe I already figure it out by trying all of them out on a post and undoing them, why aren't I a smarty? Just kidding.
I like it! Along with everything so far it's really neat and interesting.
I love the rainbow, it's just brings some sunshine and rain to your day.

Mike

Annnnndddd.... gotta disable it. It is not playing nicely with the app. Sorry for the misfire.

Mike

Annnnndddd... re-enabled it. LOL!

Likes should be working in the apps now but it is just a regular "like" in the app like it was before.

Protim Sarkar

The New Likes System is really great !

Anders247

How is dislike a positive rating? Just wondering.

Platylover

It's positively negative. Hehe, yeah I was kind of wondering that too.

Mike

Anders247

Lol thanks Platylover.

Platylover

No problem.

Mike

The ratings bar now appears on your author card next to all of your posts.

clk89

You are getting all fancy on me and I better watch myself I misspell things all the time lol. The rating system is interesting too.

NavigatorBlack

I'm a little concerned about the dislikes. I've seen it start wars on other forums. It used to be a common feature on a few of them, but it became a deluxe troll toy. I think 'likes' encourage people to post, and if I don't like what they say, I don't hit like. The negative options are often used to compete.
A forum I was on turned out to have a group of young boys who would block vote dislikes - 7 or 8 at a shot, mainly against older women who posted. It got nasty before the mods sorted it out. Costly to the atmosphere.

Platylover

I kind of agree with you there, I think the disagree button could be useful however(even though you didn't say anything about that one haha).I don't have the heart to dislike something though haha and it seems slightly less useful then the disagree. But on this forum hopefully it wouldn't start a war, either way most of us on here say whether or not we agree/like or disagree/dislike.:cat:

NavigatorBlack

I like the disagree button, because it's not as personal for the gentler souls around. I generally feel that if we disagree publicly, we should state why in a calm and constructive way. But if I post that I keep bettas with redtail sharks in a wineglass, and someone explains why this is cruel, then 200 disagrees are probably as forceful in delivering the message as a string of righteous messages.
Granted, I would dislike a person that cruel, but I figure I should stick with disagreeing with their message, and not "them". I know likes are supposed to be about the message, but it's open to interpretation. I have never never felt a flutter in my heart at the idea an attractive person agrees with me. If that person 'likes' me, well then, it's time to clean the fish tank glass so she'll be really impressed.

Lucy

The moderators can review dislikes on an individual basis. Like Mike said, if it gets abused he can remove it.

A message to everyone, please use the disagree responsibly.
If there is information you disagree with, do so respectfully in a post not with a button.

el337

What does the ratings bar indicate?

Platylover

What does the ratings bar indicate?
I think Mike posted it at the top.

el337

I think Mike posted it at the top.

I mean the green bar below the ratings.

Platylover

Oh that, I think that is the percentage of good ratings you have to neutral ones.

NHFarmer

You are getting all fancy on me and I better watch myself I misspell things all the time lol. The rating system is interesting too.
I don't know, you did all right with that post. Seriously, though, I don't think I like that button one bit (and I have a BA in English, even) - I would hope folks wouldn't be petty enough to complain about spelling errors - it's not like this is a spelling bee forum or something...

Junne

The moderators can review dislikes on an individual basis. Like Mike said, if it gets abused he can remove it.

A message to everyone, please use the disagree responsibly.
If there is information you disagree with, do so respectfully in a post not with a button.

I agree - I got a "dislike" on one of my posts just recently ( I am sure you can see which one it was ) with NO EXPLANATION and it wasn't even anything to DISLIKE?????? SO I REALLY DISLIKE this feature because the post had nothing to do with liking or disliking/disagreeing, in my opinion!

flchamp89

I don't thing it works on tapatalk

Anders247

Yeah, please get rid of dislike. There's no point to it. Keep disagree, though, and bad spelling. No, it's not a spelling bee forum but it's useful when there's wall-o-texts.

Polyrhythm

I don't mind most of the buttons, but dislike seems like it can be easily used against people (like disliking all of someone's posts) and more hostile than a simple disagree, and I really don't see a point in a bad spelling button. Not all of the users here are native English speakers. It's much friendlier to ask politely if they'll re-explain their issue rather than give them a point for bad spelling, especially since that apparently counts as a neutral point

NHFarmer

Yeah, please get rid of dislike. There's no point to it. Keep disagree, though, and bad spelling. No, it's not a spelling bee forum but it's useful when there's wall-o-texts.
"wall-o-texts?" What's that? This old lady has no idea what you're talking about!

Platylover

You know as much as the spell check button will be the fall of me, it could be helpful in articles.
I believe they mean really, really, long posts,but I could be wrong.

NHFarmer

You know as much as the spell check button will be the fall of me, it could be helpful in articles.
But the reply box already does spell checking for you....

Junne

I don't mind most of the buttons, but dislike seems like it can be easily used against people (like disliking all of someone's posts) and more hostile than a simple disagree, and I really don't see a point in a bad spelling button. Not all of the users here are native English speakers. It's much friendlier to ask politely if they'll re-explain their issue rather than give them a point for bad spelling, especially since that apparently counts as a neutral point

I totally agree!!!! While I am very proficient in spelling/grammar, I am NOT in math and would hate that someone wouldn't/couldn't look past that in order to get help on something..... I agree - reading a wall of texts is not appealing and probably won't get as much response ( same with ALL CAPS ) it's just something that can be politely pointed out, IMO. I feel like the dislike and spelling is "pointed" and not enough to reasonably give an explanation as to why they are getting it. Personally, I liked it better the way it was ( the rating system )

clk89

I think I'm the only person who doesn't mind dislike lol.

Junne

"wall-o-texts?" What's that? This old lady has no idea what you're talking about!

you know run on sentences like this with no punctuation marks its hard to tell where it starts and where it ends sometimes too difficult to read especially when there is a lot of information then it takes up a whole page I hope that explains it

el337

Ah ok.

Anders247

It's when someone makes a huge post that has no spaces in it, so it's hard to read. It's also usually lacking grammar and has spelling errors.... ugh I was ninja'd because I always stop in the middle of my posts lol.

Platylover

But the reply box already does spell checking for you....
I can still defy that thingy and have horrible grammar hehe
you know run on sentences like this with no punctuation marks its hard to tell where it starts and where it ends sometimes too difficult to read especially when there is a lot of information then it takes up a whole page I hope that explains it
See, having bad grammar helps sometimes, I was able to read that pretty easily since that's how I type half the time. Hehe

Junne

lets-eat-grandma-300x300.png HAHA

el337

Platylover, I think I gave you the one dislike for the joke (I was just teasing!) but I wouldn't have if I knew it would show up on the ratings like that! Sorry! Makes me want to undo it now.

Anders247

Platylover, I think I gave you the one dislike for the joke (I was just teasing!) but I wouldn't have if I knew it would show up on the ratings like that! Sorry!
You can go undislike it....

clk89

I can still defy that thingy and have horrible grammar hehe

My spell checker rarely get things correct when it comes to things like fish types or names. The pleco I am getting I will never remember how to spell Queen (A something) Pleco.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Mike
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views