New Light Thread - Hate starting new threads when some are here sorry....

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ziabis, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Every one says and telling me that I really should have a proper light for
    growing live plants.

I found this at Petsmart online... for some reason they don't carry these in store. wierd....
    Zoo Med AquaSun Dual T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent 30inch

Which bulb would I use?
    Aqueon® T5 Fluorescent 6.7K Lamp OR
    Aqueon® Full Spectrum Daylight T5 Lamp -> honestly I haven't a clue of the difference.

And slightly off topic... the canopy is 30 inch, what size bulb would it be, it doesn't state?
    24" or 30"

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I would use the Full Spectrum.
    The bulb would probably be the 24".

3. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

One thing I don't understand is that everyone says you should use
    at least 2watts/g, but even if I had 2 bulb at 14 watts each, I can only get
    28 watts which is only 1watt/g.
    So how can I achieve the mim. 2watts per g? I do not understand...when these bulbs
    only come in those wattages?

4. Eienna

I...haven't the slightest....

5. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

From various sites I've read that watts per gallon are not the end all of plant growth. I have that light fixture you are listing and it worked well on my 55 gallon until I build a canopy for it and used shop lights. When hung about 8" above the 55 those bulbs gave me very excellent plant growth (guppy grass, amazon sword, java fern, white ribbon, and a red I'm going to horribly misspell redneki). I would just make sure you get bulbs in the 6500k range.

6. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

7. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

With T5HO or T5NO (normal output) the watts per gallon rule is not accurate. That rule is meant more for T8 and T12 bulbs. Here's a thread that has the chart to determine a general light level from T5 lighting. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/125-tips-successful-planted-aquarium.html

If you are looking to go to a T5HO fixture the bulbs you listed will not work in an HO fixture. Those bulbs are for T5NO, and they aren't interchangeable. For a planted tank I would do one full spectrum which is generally best between 6000K to 7000K, but up to 10,000K could be used. There would be more blue in the 10,000K bulb than the 6000K which would be more balanced. For a second bulb a 5000K bulb would be more red which helps with growth. If the bulb manufacturer lists the visible color spectrum graph, you can see what each bulb puts out the most of for colors. This works for pretty much any fixture.

Also remember, the more light you have the higher the demand for fertilizers and CO2 from the plants.

8. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

No offence to you all, but I'm more confused now....
    But I appreciate the help...

I am using one T8 full spectrum 17watt daylight bulb now...

9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

The fixture you're describing uses 22" bulbs. That means you'll have to get the Zoomed specific bulbs. These 2 would be perfect for plant growth. http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Trich...d=1354242287&sr=8-2&keywords=zoomed+ultra+sun http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Flora...d=1354242306&sr=1-1&keywords=zoomed+flora+sun
    I have the same fixture and bulbs.

The WPG rule only works with T12 and T8 bulbs. T5, T5HOs, MHs, etc. are much more efficient and brighter. A 24" T5HO bulb would be much brighter than say a 24" T8 or T12 bulb. Anyways, wattage is the energy consumption so I don't see how that correlates in any way with light output. This is an amazing article that talks about it all. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

Also, T5HO bulbs will only work in a T5HO fixture. Same goes for T8s, regular T5s, and so on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

I'm still lost as to why ZooMed does this when every other bulb I looked at is labeled 24", but all T5HO bulbs are actually 22" long for a 24" light fixture. I run those same two bulbs in my 24" AquaticLife fixture and they do really well for plant growth.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. Eienna

And so...this is why I come XD I learned something too!

12. QQQUUUUAADDD

I was also confused as to why ZooMed does that. I would've expected a 28" or something like that bulb.

13. Eienna

I think they measure the actual lengths of the hood and the bulb, rather than naming the bulb for the length of the hood it fits in. The fixture is actually slightly shorter than the hood itself.

14. QQQUUUUAADDD

Isn't the fixture the hood?

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

No need to apologize for creating a new thread. :) We do suggest that the Search Fish Lore feature be used prior to posting or creating a thread and then if you do not find the answers you seek, by all means create a thread.

Ken

16. Eienna

I mean the actual device the bulb hooks into, as opposed to the plastic outer shell that hides it.

17. QQQUUUUAADDD

Oh, the fixture is a bit shorter in my case, but nothing significant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice