New light gets really hot

1. AlyciaZu Initiate Member

Hey all,

Hopefully you guys will be able to give me some advice, as I couldn't find anything online really.

I have a 150 gallon tank, and i just bought a new light fixture. It is a quad fluorescent lighting system (46" T5 HO). The four lights I am running in it are the Coralife 6,700k daylights (54 watt).

I have a glass lid, and after a couple of hours of having these lights on, the glass is VERY hot to the touch.

Online seems to say that placing lights on a glass top is fine, but I am worried that the glass will crack.
    Advice anybody?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I would be leary of placing a T5 on top of the glass-any way to hang them?

3. AlyciaZu Initiate Member

I don't think that hanging them would be an option because I have a dropped ceiling where the tank is.

Are there any other options? I was looking into acrylic top instead of glass maybe? Or doing an open top and dropping the water.
    I'm pretty bummed out about this :(

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

You could hang it with the bent arm pipes that attach to the tank stand. They look like an upside down "L". You secure them behind the tank to the stand very well, then they come up, bend a 90 degree angle and out over the tank, then you suspend a light from them. Here is a link to a kit I found on goggle real quick, it's kinda pricey, but I think you could make one for yourself cheaper, or find a better price on a comparable version somewhere else online (this is just first on that came up in search)....
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=AK01209&child=AK01210&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=AK01210&gclid=CK7_2OTvpb8CFVFp7AodSBoAzQ

It shows the basic concept of what you would need.

You could also try some DIY fans to help cool the lights/tank off. Here is a thread I posted recently on how I did mine for my tanks to help keep the temp down in the summer....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/171197-diy-aquarium-chiller-fans.html

Many people use these type fans to cool off hot light fixtures by either blowing down into them or reversing them, and sucking the hot air out and away from the fixture.

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Don't try acrylic, it will warp if you put the light on it, melting point is not really all that high (320 degrees F).

6. matsungit Well Known Member Member

Does your fixture have legs that stand on the edges of the tank? If so I wouldn't worry unless the fixture is resting directly on the glass. My 48" T5HO quad has an acrylic splash guard and it hasn't warped yet. The lights are so strong I can feel an imminent sunburn on my hands and it's a little painful if I accidentally touch the acrylic. But not too hot that it would cause a blister. I am more worried about high water temperatures. I'm using DIY screen tops so the heat can escape and more light for the plants.

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I doubt the acrylic that is used to construct tanks is the same material used in the splash guards and probably has a different melting point. My T5HO has a plastic splash guard which isn't effected by the heat, but when set directly on top of the acrylic aquarium the acrylic warped when hot, although it straightened back out when it cooled, I never tried that experiment again.

8. AlyciaZu Initiate Member

Thanks everybody. I am going to look at building those light suspenders, I think.

My fixture does have the legs, but it is for a 48-54" tank. Mine is exactly 48" so standing it on top of the tank, it is very close to the edges.

In the mean time, I am going to remove the glass to be safe and drop the water level a few inches, I think.