New Light For Hood

SilverStar

Hey-o!

I'm hoping you guys could give me some advice regarding lighting. I was given a used 10 gallon tank with a filter and hood, and the hood needs new lights since one of them is burned out and the other is looking worn. The hood says that the type of light is tubular, incandescent and not to exceed 25 watts. I want to have a low light planted tank, so taking the restrictions of the hood into account, what light bulbs would you all recommend?

oj8gj9N.jpg
FdN06Aj.jpg

dcutl002

maybe try something like this:
Less heat, less energy consumption. Since it is a 40W equivalent one bulb should work.

Or this:

SilverStar

maybe try something like this:
Less heat, less energy consumption. Since it is a 40W equivalent one bulb should work.

Or this:
Zoo Med Aquatic Zoo Med Ultra Sun 6500k Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb Aquarium Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

I'll definitely look into those bulbs! I stopped at Petsmart yesterday and they had this Aqueon bulb. Do you think it would be any good?

cTM8gsf.jpg
J7DLPUS.jpg

dcutl002

That bulb is 50% daylight and 50% actinic. The Actinic light is for salt water. I would get the Zoo Med 6500K light: it is more beneficial for plants.

SilverStar

That bulb is 50% daylight and 50% actinic. The Actinic light is for salt water. I would get the Zoo Med 6500K light: it is more beneficial for plants.

Cool, thanks! Between the two you posted, that’s the one I was leaning towards. Thank you for your help!

Dave125g

I remember having a hood like that when I first started out. Using those high heat incandescent bulbs, I didn't even need a heater. Lol this hobby sure came a long way since then.

Agree the zoo med 6500 k will give you all you need for low light plants.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Temijun1
Replies
Views
Cindy22
Replies
Views
MTSRandy
Replies
Views