New Life Baby Platy

1. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

One of my platys must of had babies because I found this one in my tank he/she is safe but they can still see he/she and will nip at it accasionally anything I need to know about taking care of the new baby
    When can I put it back in and how old might he be I have a heavily planted tank

Attached Files:

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

The platy looks to be 3 days - a week old. You can put it back in when it reaches 1/3 of the adult platies size (usually when it reaches an inch), any smaller and it might just hide 24/7 (and most likely die) or get eaten by the adults.

Heres how to care for platy fry:
    Food:
    Feed them whatever you feed the adults, but crushed up into a powder. What I did is put the food into a net (the ones you scoop fish with), put the net into the water face down (the open part) and then let the food fall out of it. This prevents the food from floating or clumping into one ball when you pinch it. Also makes sure its easy to catch the fry when you net them out to the main tank, since they will associate the net with food, not a threat. When they reach half a inch, give them not so crushed up food, as in where it is not a powder, but just really small portions. At one inch, you can put them into the main tank and they should be able to eat regular sized foods.
    Tank setup:
    A 5-10 gallon aquarium or a breeding net will work. [Rest of this section is for people wanting to use a separate aquarium as a growout tank] For a filter if you are putting it in a separate tank, use either a sponge filter or a HOB filter (such as an Aquaclear 20 with a sponge on the intake). You would also need a heater to keep a constant and steady temperature since the fry are not really hardy when they are born. Adding some plants will also decrease some stress in the fry. Keep the aquarium a bare bottom, and do 20-30% water changes once a week.
    Decorations:
    Make it a bare bottom tank. Add a few bushy plants (such as hornwort) , but not too big, so a handful of the plant should be okay. You could also add some lucky bamboo, and the fry will hide in the roots.
    Tank size:
    Depends on how many fry you have, but generally speaking, 9-10 platy fry under a inch per 5 gallons of water. A reasonably sized breeding net can house about 4-5 platy fry. Do not use those plastic breeder boxes, since the fry will be able to escape through the slits.
    Lighting:
    A simple desk lamp will do, but they don't really need a light unless you are counting them.

3. OP
    OP
    Ankers

She's the only one I found she's in a breeding container can I leave her in there if not I have an empty ten gallon I figured that I'd leave he in the cointainer because she can get filtered water

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

She/he should be okay in the container, just make sure the gaps are not large enough for her/him to escape.

5. OP
    OP
    Ankers

Thank you