New L046 Zebras for my collection

86 ssinit
Monster has them on sale again. $119 all day today.

Advertisement
Charlyc
All in. You can see 3 so 4 more are hiding.

20230219_111254.jpg

Advertisement
Charlyc
Now that they are all settled in 3 more are arriving Friday.

L046 Pleco-02232023-1356560525.jpg
Monster has them on sale again. $119 all day today.
What size? I get a discount from La Paz $115 for 1.5". I did a nice unboxing review in FB for him.

86 ssinit
Lol I was there today and forgot to look. Sorry to busy with the discus. They just got in a few hundred :eek:. 3 less now:D.

Charlyc
Lol I was there today and forgot to look. Sorry to busy with the discus. They just got in a few hundred :eek:. 3 less now:D.
Where are they located so next time go LI i will stop. How is the quality and size?
you mean you got 3?

86 ssinit
4-5” good quality and good prices. The store is off college point blvd. Just past flushing meadow park.
7670F26D-F755-41F9-930E-3251805E3304.jpeg
E82EF17F-62DE-4AD2-9741-16B27C362AE7.jpeg

Advertisement

Charlyc
Ok the 3 zebras arrived and in QT.

20230224_151659.jpg

86 ssinit
So I went back to get another blue and looked at the zebras. They had at least 10 in the tank at about 1 1/2”
77C40F6E-C203-47FA-A87D-F1C577A41C16.jpeg
CE83D94F-F28E-461D-BA8E-A0010E49FB59.jpegvery tempting! I don’t think he’s selling them at any great pace. $168 when not on sale. And they’ve been on sale twice now.

Charlyc
So I went back to get another blue and looked at the zebras. They had at least 10 in the tank at about 1 1/2”View attachment 874533View attachment 874532very tempting! I don’t think he’s selling them at any great pace. $168 when not on sale. And they’ve been on sale twice now.
I don't know if it's the lighting, but those stripes don't look very dark. But anyway, I did not pay more than $120 and some I paid $115 for that size plus shipping.

86 ssinit
Yes it the lighting and the fact that they’ve been there awhile. Fish start going south when sitting in a pet store for a few months. It is a shame. COVID’s over people aren’t buying fish like before.

Advertisement

Charlyc
I just took a snapshot of my guys at home. I get to watch them here and there while I work.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-03 091323.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-03 091323.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-03-03 091323.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-03 091323.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2023-03-03 091811.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-03 091811.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 21
86 ssinit
They are a fish I tried years ago without much knowledge. I am tempted to try again. What it there temp range? And do you think they could be kept in a community tank? Next the place by me still has them. But they’ve been there at least 4 months maybe more. Would you still buy after being in store that long?

How the plecos doing?

Charlyc
Update
They are doing great they eat all their food that I place in front of the caves, and they are growing fast. I keep them at 85F to accelerate their metabolism to grow them out, normally kept between 78 and 86 F (per some web sites). I saw a video and the breeder was saying 87 F is better for grow outs but that might kill the plants. Feed twice a day an omnivore gel and a algae gel plus baby brine shrimp. The group is now 10 L046's.
Todays snapshot. I guess some are hiding.

Screenshot 2023-03-15 100201.jpg

86 ssinit
Is a sand bottom recomended? I’ve got a hilstream loach tank that I’d think of adding them to. Temp at 79 and a gravel bottom.

Advertisement

Charlyc
Is a sand bottom recomended? I’ve got a hilstream loach tank that I’d think of adding them to. Temp at 79 and a gravel bottom.
They like sand but plenty talk about gravel or bare bottom. One of the guys that bought some of my black rams has 18 in a gravel tank filled with caves and oak leaves. The only thing is, does the gravel have sharp edges or smooth?
I was also told to target feed, so I use a clear tube and place the food right in front of them.

Screenshot 2023-03-15 112713.jpg

86 ssinit
First off that’s a great looking set up!!
Target feeding is kind of tough. Especially in a community tank. So these guy can’t fend for themselves? What are you feeding? So each pleco you drop food in front of? That’s some dedication!!
My gravel is all smooth.

Charlyc
First off that’s a great looking set up!!
Target feeding is kind of tough. Especially in a community tank. So these guy can’t fend for themselves? What are you feeding? So each pleco you drop food in front of? That’s some dedication!!
My gravel is all smooth.
I have an area in front of their caves where I drop food. they don't venture far from their caves at least not yet. If you set up a group of caves at least one for each and some extra. Then you drop food in front. They are not food aggressive, and I was told they don't like to compete for food. I am waiting for some rummynose tetras I ordered to see if they are more comfortable with some fish above.

The picture where the pleco is, was full of food this morning at 5 AM.

Food some of each plus baby brine shrimp hatched.
Omnivore food
Repashy Soilent

SamMe
Update
They are doing great they eat all their food that I place in front of the caves, and they are growing fast. I keep them at 85F to accelerate their metabolism to grow them out, normally kept between 78 and 86 F (per some web sites). I saw a video and the breeder was saying 87 F is better for grow outs but that might kill the plants. Feed twice a day an omnivore gel and a algae gel plus baby brine shrimp. The group is now 10 L046's.
Todays snapshot. I guess some are hiding.

View attachment 875589
Since it looks like a Pleco resort, I doubt they are hiding. They probably are just at the spa. ;)

Advertisement

86 ssinit
Ok so on the needs column: daily hand feeding
Their own personal cave
Spa treatment
Any special type of music? Backgrounds? :D
Ok coralbandit was it all funny or just one something in there:rolleyes:. These guys aren’t like bushy noses.

coralbandit
Just funny that babying your new fish is not the first thing that comes to mind after spending what they cost.
I paid $800 for 6.
I looked for a list of their demands daily! :p

The it taking dedication struck me the funniest coming from you water changer ! ;)

Charlyc
Just funny that babying your new fish is not the first thing that comes to mind after spending what they cost.
I paid $800 for 6.
I looked for a list of their demands daily! :p

The it taking dedication struck me the funniest coming from you water changer ! ;)
I am in for $1200 :eek: you bet I am going to baby them and get them to grow at a faster pace.
PS. got to add $400 tank plus stand plus caves.
This feeding time

L046 Pleco-03152023-1735000934.jpg

L046 Pleco-03152023-1740523757.jpg

KribensisLover1
I am in for $1200 :eek: you bet I am going to baby them and get them to grow at a faster pace.
PS. got to add $400 tan plus stand plus cave.
This feeding time

View attachment 875611

View attachment 875612
NO WAY! Super cool! Do they have non guarantees? The places I saw guarantee many freshwater fishes (like if they die within a certain time period you get money back) but not Zebras. So cool. They’re so cute! I wanted one but it was not a good fit for my tank. Super cool! I just ran and told my husband and he was not as pumped as I am. Sheesh.

Advertisement

Charlyc
NO WAY! Super cool! Do they have non guarantees? The places I saw guarantee many freshwater fishes (like if they die within a certain time period you get money back) but not Zebras. So cool. They’re so cute! I wanted one but it was not a good fit for my tank. Super cool! I just ran and told my husband and he was not as pumped as I am. Sheesh.
Most places give you a delivery window guarantee first delivery attempt pictures within 2 hours of non open bags with the dead fish inside. On less expensive fish you might get a break. That is my policy for my rams but it doesn't mean that I don't break my own policy at times. I have replaced fish on my expense in the past. You just don't want people to leave the box unattended for hours at their front door. I only buy from places with a good reputation and references and make sure somebody is home to receive the box and start acclimating the fish as I rush home.

KribensisLover1
Most places give you a delivery window guarantee first delivery attempt pictures within 2 hours of non open bags with the dead fish inside. On less expensive fish you might get a break. That is my policy for my rams but it doesn't mean that I don't break my own policy at times. I have replaced fish on my expense in the past. You just don't want people to leave the box unattended for hours at their front door. I only buy from places with a good reputation and references and make sure somebody is home to receive the box and start acclimating the fish as I rush home.
Yes! Makes sense. I just got new fish and lost some, and went back to the store and they tested the water and then gave me store credit. Sometimes it just happens! How did you acclimate? Drip? This is super cool. Lots of money but SUPER cool plecos. SUPER. Should I say it again? Lolol! Please keep us posted with more pics!

Charlyc
Yes! Makes sense. I just got new fish and lost some, and went back to the store and they tested the water and then gave me store credit. Sometimes it just happens! How did you acclimate? Drip? This is super cool. Lots of money but SUPER cool plecos. SUPER. Should I say it again? Lolol! Please keep us posted with more pics!
Always post pictures and videos as you can see from my other threads. For acclimation I first float the bags and then they go in a specimen box with a drop or two of prime. I add small amounts of tank water until PH/temp is close to the tank water and then remove the water netting the fish. With the plecos they get stuck to the walls of the specimen box, so a turkey baster helps squirt them in the tank. The first float the bags is usually because my wife receives the fish wile I am at work. I don't get home till 2:30 PM so she opens the box.

Morning Snapshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-16 093624.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-16 093624.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2023-03-16 094420.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-16 094420.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 22
KribensisLover1
Always post pictures and videos as you can see from my other threads. For acclimation I first float the bags and then they go in a specimen box with a drop or two of prime. I add small amounts of tank water until PH/temp is close to the tank water and then remove the water netting the fish. With the plecos they get stuck to the walls of the specimen box, so a turkey baster helps squirt them in the tank. The first float the bags is usually because my wife receives the fish wile I am at work. I don't get home till 2:30 PM so she opens the box.

Morning Snapshot.
So Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

jackywacky

Morning Snapshot.
Wow!!! I want a fish room like that!

Charlyc
L046's just go a new plant. Made a trade big male ABN for big sword.

20230319_193807.jpg

Charlyc
They are much happier with some tank mates.

coralbandit
Outstanding!
Love the rummies.
I had a customer in Ca. that used my rams [ EBR] to induce spawning of his zebras.
He raised them till he believed mature and then placed a pair of rams with them.
The rams spawned on the breeding tube and two days later he had zebra eggs in the tube!
I see zebra babies in the future..

86 ssinit
I do t know about happy! Looks to me like they may be calling management complaining about all the kids playing at the pool :D .

Charlyc
This morning's snapshot. The Rummynose are little burry they move to fast for the surveillance camera.

L046 Pleco-04032023-0900084365.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
Spin1983
Replies