New kuhli’s with white spots—ich??

eelena
Hi!! I have been lurking in this forum for a while and have learned SO much as I’ve been prepping my first tank these past weeks (major thank you to all the experts that I’ve learned from on here!!) and finally making the plunge with my first post!
My tank finally finished cycling and I bought my first set of fish yesterday—8 new kuhlis!! Super excited about them! However I just got home from work and noticed this guy has some white spots on him, hopefully you can see them in the pic I attached. My first thought was ich but the spots do seem kind of small compared to other pictures I’ve seen so I just wanted to confirm and get some other opinions. Not sure if my other fish have any spots yet bc I literally just walked in the door from work but I will investigate very soon.
Also, if it is ich, I’ve seen people suggest Ich-X as a good treatment—does anyone with kuhli’s have experience with this or any other suggestions for treatment? I know I may have to half dose since they’re partially scaleless.
Also a few parameters that I checked as of yesterday night was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and temp of 80 degrees F. However I will check again today soon and check other parameters if people are curious.
Thank you so much in advance!!!

Freshfishguy
eelena said:
Hi!! I have been lurking in this forum for a while and have learned SO much as I’ve been prepping my first tank these past weeks (major thank you to all the experts that I’ve learned from on here!!) and finally making the plunge with my first post!
My tank finally finished cycling and I bought my first set of fish yesterday—8 new kuhlis!! Super excited about them! However I just got home from work and noticed this guy has some white spots on him, hopefully you can see them in the pic I attached. My first thought was ich but the spots do seem kind of small compared to other pictures I’ve seen so I just wanted to confirm and get some other opinions. Not sure if my other fish have any spots yet bc I literally just walked in the door from work but I will investigate very soon.
Also, if it is ich, I’ve seen people suggest Ich-X as a good treatment—does anyone with kuhli’s have experience with this or any other suggestions for treatment? I know I may have to half dose since they’re partially scaleless.
Also a few parameters that I checked as of yesterday night was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and temp of 80 degrees F. However I will check again today soon and check other parameters if people are curious.
Thank you so much in advance!!!
Looks like ich to me. Ich x is safe to use with scaleless fish and invertebrates, so I’m pretty sure you don’t need to half dose.

eelena
Thanks so much for the reply!! Yeah he’s not looking great upon further inspection—will definitely start ich x treatment as soon as I can. It seems like some others may have some small spots but this guy’s definitely got it the worse.
I also noticed this reddish thing on his underside?? Any thoughts? I read about camallanus worms but are they supposed to move? Also I don’t even know if that’s his anus. Definitely getting more concerned because ich seems pretty treatable but I am not sure what this is or how to treat it

Freshfishguy
eelena said:
Thanks so much for the reply!! Yeah he’s not looking great upon further inspection—will definitely start ich x treatment as soon as I can. It seems like some others may have some small spots but this guy’s definitely got it the worse.
I also noticed this reddish thing on his underside?? Any thoughts? I read about camallanus worms but are they supposed to move? Also I don’t even know if that’s his anus. Definitely getting more concerned because ich seems pretty treatable but I am not sure what this is or how to treat it
Ohhh yup that’s definitely the more pressing issue. Those are camallanus worms. However, if you use Fritz Expel-P it’ll take care of them pretty quickly. Just make sure to follow the directions and do the 2 treatments I believe 3 weeks apart to make sure they are all gone. I’ve dealt with them 2 times now since I got in the hobby. Expel-P has levamisole which is what takes care of them. As far as I know levamisole is the only treatment that works on them, so if you don’t go with Expel-P make sure you treat the camallanus with an anti-parasitic medication that uses levamisole. I would do the first treatment with Fritz Expel-P, and then while you are waiting for the second treatment, treat the ich with ich-x.

eelena
Freshfishguy said:
Ohhh yup that’s definitely the more pressing issue. Those are camallanus worms. However, if you use Fritz Expel-P it’ll take care of them pretty quickly. Just make sure to follow the directions and do the 2 treatments I believe 3 weeks apart to make sure they are all gone. I’ve dealt with them 2 times now since I got in the hobby. Expel-P has levamisole which is what takes care of them. As far as I know levamisole is the only treatment that works on them, so if you don’t go with Expel-P make sure you treat the camallanus with an anti-parasitic medication that uses levamisole. I would do the first treatment with Fritz Expel-P, and then while you are waiting for the second treatment, treat the ich with ich-x.
Thank you so so much Freshfishguy for your insight, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I lost this guy just now. I’m really upset to see him go but having some understanding as to what was going on does make me feel a bit better, so I really appreciate your replies.
One last question—my other kuhlis luckily don’t seems to be nearly in such a bad shape as this guy was—it’s been hard to see if they have any ich and I don’t see the camallanus worm red areas on their bellies. I am still planning on doing the ich treatment just in case, but do you think it would be worth it to do the expel-p treatment even though I don’t see any visible camallanus on them? I just am afraid this may happen again since they all came from the same tank at the LFS, and I really want to avoid losing another fish. Would the treatment hurt if they are not sick?
If it makes any difference, I’ve noticed these guys have a visible pinkish line running thru their body, which I’m guessing is their digestive tract, which I’m not sure it’s typical for that to be visible for kuhlis. Also they haven’t really been eating much that I’ve been able to see. And my one that just passed seemed to have two small reddish lesions on his belly.
Thank you again Freshfishguy for your replies, it really has helped so much!

Freshfishguy
eelena said:
Thank you so so much Freshfishguy for your insight, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I lost this guy just now. I’m really upset to see him go but having some understanding as to what was going on does make me feel a bit better, so I really appreciate your replies.
One last question—my other kuhlis luckily don’t seems to be nearly in such a bad shape as this guy was—it’s been hard to see if they have any ich and I don’t see the camallanus worm red areas on their bellies. I am still planning on doing the ich treatment just in case, but do you think it would be worth it to do the expel-p treatment even though I don’t see any visible camallanus on them? I just am afraid this may happen again since they all came from the same tank at the LFS, and I really want to avoid losing another fish. Would the treatment hurt if they are not sick?
If it makes any difference, I’ve noticed these guys have a visible pinkish line running thru their body, which I’m guessing is their digestive tract, which I’m not sure it’s typical for that to be visible for kuhlis. Also they haven’t really been eating much that I’ve been able to see. And my one that just passed seemed to have two small reddish lesions on his belly.
Thank you again Freshfishguy for your replies, it really has helped so much!
Of course!! Glad to help. I’m sorry to hear about your loss. When I got my first guppies 2 years ago, one of them had camallanus and died before I knew what it was too, so I understand. I would definitely suggest treating the tank with Expel-P even if they aren’t showing symptoms. Camallanus worms are nasty and you have to assume they are all infected even if they aren’t showing symptoms.

eelena
Freshfishguy said:
Of course!! Glad to help. I’m sorry to hear about your loss. When I got my first guppies 2 years ago, one of them had camallanus and died before I knew what it was too, so I understand. I would definitely suggest treating the tank with Expel-P even if they aren’t showing symptoms. Camallanus worms are nasty and you have to assume they are all infected even if they aren’t showing symptoms.
Thank you so much again Freshfishguy!! I managed to get my hands on some Expel P yesterday and was able to start the first dose. Unfortunately between my last post and now two more kuhlis have passed. And I fear now that it may be hemmoragic septicemia given the symptoms of my other fish (I made a separate thread about it). My remaining 5 are looking healthy and strong so I’m hoping they will hang on while I try to treat them. Anyway, again, thank you so much for your replies and expertise, and generally for being kind and supportive. I hope you have a great rest of your weekend!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom