New kribs! Female(?) burrowing??

Discussion in 'Kribensis - Kribs' started by kidster9700, Jul 24, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

So my boyfriend and I got two kribs, a male and female supposedly. One is for sure a male and the other I can't tell because she's burrowed in the sand under a rock... The two never are together so I guess they aren't pairing but idk. Is this normal behavior? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437770895.662759.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437770914.288058.jpg
    Here is the male pointing right at the hole.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437770959.145603.jpg here you can see the supposed female's tail sticking out
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437770984.205856.jpg and I'm posting this last one for fun because the new severum (literally added minutes ago) was perfectly blocking the burrow I was trying to photograph.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

She just popped her head out for a perfect picture ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437771100.779316.jpg

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, she is doing exactly what she's supposed to do. They often dig underneath things and make their own caves. I had one female dig a cave under a piece of driftwood - right next to a perfectly good coconut shell! If the male is hanging around, he's waiting for her to finish and come out a'courtin'.

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Cool! So then it isn't two males you think? It's hard to tell :/
    Also, if they lay eggs and the eggs actually hatch, do you think the babies will live? Do the parents raise them at all? I have a live bearer fry tank, could I keep krib fry in there? I've never kept egg laying fish that actually mate and do all this...

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have a friend with a breeding pair, and both parents trade off watching the fry.

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

How long will they watch the fry for? Will I have to intervene?

7. chromedome52

Some pairs are reasonable parents, others can be terrors when they have fry. But they generally can raise the fry for a month or so before they want to spawn again.

The female is the one that does the digging, I have seen submissive males hide in caves, but never dig one out.

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, so there's some big fish in the tank, will the fry get eaten if I don't take them out or will they be big enough by the time the parents stop parenting?

9. chromedome52

The fry will have to be removed. If the livebearer fry are roughly the same size, they should be fine with them.

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I'm just worried I'll remove them too soon and they'll die.

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Just wait to remove them until the parents stop swimming with them, and instead try to scare them off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice