New killifish eggs

Tom

Fishlore VIP
I just won another bid for 50 eggs of another species of killifish. It is a No. Rachovii. They should be here in about 1-2 weeks.
Tom

Advertisement

Advertisement
They should be here either tomorrow or next week sometime.
Tom

Hey! It's a species of killifish that got me into aquarium-keeping, to begin with. In a biology class last year, we were observing the eggs of medaka, or Japanese ricefish, or Japanese killifish, or Oryzias latipes, as they developed from fertilization into fry. But once they were free-swimming, the class had nothing more to do with them. In a vain effort to save them, I rushed to Petsmart and bought a 2.5 gallon starter kit thing.

But no one told me about cycling. They all died within a week or two, of ammonia poisoning I suspect.

Anyway, it's killifish that got me into this business, and I'm always interested in hearing about the little dudes!

Here's a picture, also - they're cute guys, full grown.

22.jpg
Their embryos are ugly as sin though, especially under a stereoscope.

clear.gif

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just get really excited by killifish. I wanted to buy some medaka eggs from Carolina Biological Supply (I trust those guys a lot), but don't have the cash or space.

Anyway - godspeed on your killifish! Make me proud!

Stradius011 - I don't know of anyplace that would sell the eggs(?) other than online. Most of the eggs come from fish farms in Thailand so they are laid there, and then shipped worldwide.
Semantic Drift - I hate to tell you this, but I don't think they are killifish. I have checked all the different sites about killifish and there were no results. They could be called killifish in the common name, but there are no killifish that go by that scientific name. Sorry.
Tom

Advertisement
Well poo. It would appear that medaka are in the ricefish family, Adrianichthyidae, which is in order Beloniformes. Killifish are in order Cyprinodontiformes, family Cyprinodontidae. But the medaka used to be included under Cyprinodontidae! I'm just behind the times is all.

Anyway, they're related at least at the superorder level - they're both in superorder Acanthopterygii.

Which isn't too bad.

As an aside, FishBase is really cool.

Stradius011 - I don't know of anyplace that would sell the eggs(?) other than online. Most of the eggs come from fish farms in Thailand so they are laid there, and then shipped worldwide.
Tom
Oh ok. I guess you got them at aquabid?

Tom
Oh ok. I guess you got them at aquabid?
No, I got them on eBay.
Tom

They arrived today. The seller sent me an email saying that due to the warm weather, the eggs could hatch earlier than planned, and if you see any eyes in eggs when you get them, put them in water immediately(tank water).
Tom

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ThatKenGuy
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Tom
Replies