New(ish) Tank Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by mememan, Aug 1, 2017.

1. mememanNew MemberMember

My tank has been running for about 2 months now and I have been slammed with a pretty bad diatom bloom for the last couple weeks and it seems like it is beginning to wind down a little bit but im still getting a lot of diatoms on glass and a tonnnn of diatoms on my live rock. I am curious what I should do to get rid of it.

Attached Files:

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler FishmanValued MemberMember

Water changes, cut down on your tank's photoperiod, nothing in your tank needs light for photosynthesis yet so you can really cut down on that. Make sure your water is well oxygenated, or snails, though your tank is not completely cycled so I do not recommend snails just yet. Its something everyone has to deal with

3. OP
    OP
    m

mememanNew MemberMember

I have 2 turbo snails, 1 trochus, 1 nassarius, 3 red leg hermit, 1 halloween hermit, 1 sand sifting star.

I do have things that require photosynthesis because I have 3 coral. 1 montipora cap, 1 pink birdsnest, and some sort of favia. Im currently testing out less powerful light and keep blues on all day for like 6-8 hours. I guess I can up my water changes.

4. OP
    OP
    m

mememanNew MemberMember

tagging

5. Tyler Fishman

Tyler FishmanValued MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice