New(ish) guppy still not settled

alfiehawes

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
6
Hi, i have a 60 litre tank, with 5 guppies, some cardinal tetras, and a pair of mated rams. i bought a new guppy the other day, and acclimated him in the bag before putting him in the tank. ammonia 0, nitrate and nitrate 0 (i have a lot of plants) but this one guppy is just sitting at the top of the tank and on top of the filter. none of the other fish do so it is hard for me to see that he would be struggling for oxygen etc. he eats fine and doesn't have any visible illness as far as i am aware. tank temperature is 27c/80f. Any suggestions?
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,364
Reaction score
2,702
Experience
5 years
alfiehawes said:
Hi, i have a 60 litre tank, with 5 guppies, some cardinal tetras, and a pair of mated rams. i bought a new guppy the other day, and acclimated him in the bag before putting him in the tank. ammonia 0, nitrate and nitrate 0 (i have a lot of plants) but this one guppy is just sitting at the top of the tank and on top of the filter. none of the other fish do so it is hard for me to see that he would be struggling for oxygen etc. he eats fine and doesn't have any visible illness as far as i am aware. tank temperature is 27c/80f. Any suggestions?
If you got him yesterday or a few days ago he may still be adjusting. The temp may also be a bit to hot but if only he’s affected then he most likely is just getting used to his new home :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
A

alfiehawes

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
6
jkkgron2 said:
If you got him yesterday or a few days ago he may still be adjusting. The temp may also be a bit to hot but if only he’s affected then he most likely is just getting used to his new home :)
Maybe, I've had him a week or 2 now. Maybe hes just a bit nervous. Thanks!
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,364
Reaction score
2,702
Experience
5 years
alfiehawes said:
Maybe, I've had him a week or 2 now. Maybe hes just a bit nervous. Thanks!
Oh if it’s been a week or two I doubt it’s that. Is he breathing fast?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
A

alfiehawes

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
6
jkkgron2 said:
Oh if it’s been a week or two I doubt it’s that. Is he breathing fast?
No, seems the same as the others.
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,364
Reaction score
2,702
Experience
5 years
alfiehawes said:
No, seems the same as the others.
He may just be overwhelmed then. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if a fish is just stressed or if there’s an actual issue. I would do a 25% water change sometime today just in case there’s something in the water that’s bugging him.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
206
Guests online
3,246
Total visitors
3,452

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom