New Invention To Reduce Water Turbulence In Fluval Spec V

Did you like my invention ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
navaboo
I have a Fluval Spec 5 gallon tank for my Betta and I actually love the tank. I love the dimension, layout, compartmentalization (separation of media/filtration and heater ) from main tank and the touch activated blue/LED light on the top which is perfect for my live plants (I have 3).

The biggest problem I had with this tank was the force of water output even at the "lowest" setting. The water turbulence was so great even at the lowest setting that it created a minI whirlpool on the surface which greatly impacted Pluto's swimming. He even had a hard time resting on his favorite leaf hammockead:. So I purchased a cheap sponge on Amazon (shown in picture) and positioned it with twist tie to the filter output.

I've had the sponge attached to the filter for almost a month now and I'm actually disappointed. There was ABSOLUTELY no water circulation what so ever. The water was at a stand still. I couldn't even tell if enough water was passing through the sponge at all. Almost two months in, I am YET to start the Nitrogen Cycle (I'm only getting trace amounts of ammonia reads occasionally) and I think the culprit here is the lack of water circulation through the filter media.

After trial and error.....

TA DAAAAAAA here is my new invention . I've positioned the water output at the top (it creates a calming splashing sound which I love) and to break the force of water falling into the tank (which was also very great for Pluto) , I've put a medication measuring cup thingy directly under the fall with a few holes in it :smug:. I've covered the hole left by the filter output unit with a plastic thing because Pluto ACTUALLY started venturing inside .

Now it seems like I'm getting enough water circulation, calming water sounds at night and absolutely no turbulence. What do you guys think?

IMG_9355.JPG
IMG_9356.JPG
Pluto observing the ghetto-fabulous thing in his territory
IMG_9357.JPG

Advertisement
AKD200
That's what is cool about the hobby; problem solving, good job navaho.

navaboo
That's what is cool about the hobby; problem solving, good job navaho.
Thank You and I agree

vijay3242
Good idea but if you want something more eye appealing you could get this: Solid Gold Awuatics uses it on the same tank as you and I use it on my HOB. Have you rehomed your plecos yet?

Advertisement
navaboo
Good idea but if you want something more eye appealing you could get this: Solid Gold Awuatics uses it on the same tank as you and I use it on my HOB. Have you rehomed your plecos yet?

If you look at the picture above, I've used that sponge for almost a month now and I didn't like it. I don't think it effectively circulated water. The sponge technique caused the water to be at a stand still. In fact the sponge was SO BAD at outputting water that my betta made bubble nests right next to the sponge and it failed to displace a single bubble. My nitrogen cycle hasn't started even after almost 2 months because my water wasn't circulating like it should've been . That's why I opted to this method.

vijay3242
If you look at the picture above, I've used that sponge for almost a month now and I didn't like it. I don't think it effectively circulated water. The sponge technique caused the water to be at a stand still. In fact the sponge was SO BAD at outputting water that my betta made bubble nests right next to the sponge and it failed to displace a single bubble. My nitrogen cycle hasn't started even after almost 2 months because my water wasn't circulating like it should've been . That's why I opted to this method.
Have you rehome the Plecos yet? Yeah it may have not worked for you, sorry. Also why is your text green

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
imba
  • Question
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies