New internal filter is too fast for my 8 gallon

lokky.funky

Reaction score
HI forum,

I have bought a new internal filter

It says 300 L in the carton

so, it pumps 300 L / h (I guess..)

It seems to be too fast for my small 8 gallon, as I find the plastic plants unable to cope up with the strong current..

The main problem is that, when I add fishes to the tank, are they going to cope up with this current. I think I have made a mistake getting this filter for my 8 gallon..

Plz suggest some ways to overcome this problem, without having to change the filter completely..

P.S. My 8 gallon is currently cycling. I have started it on the 28th of October..

OP
L

lokky.funky

Reaction score
But I have read in some of the posts that the filter should pump ten times the actual volume of the tank...

If that is true, then this would be not too large for my tank..

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
Well then I can only surmise based on what you've read and believe, that you've got the right filter for your tank and so wish you the very best of luck with the next group of fish you acquire.

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
I think that the companies take the amount of water that a filter needs to pump into account when they make it for a certian size of tank... example, the filter for a 10 gallon, will pump that water through an appropriate number of times. I wouldn't get a filter any larger than one designed for a 29 gallon tank to put in a 10 gallon.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
gph=gallons per hour. It is recommended that a filter circulates 10 x the gallons per hour so 100 gph would be good for your tank. But the package said it was for a 300L not that the gph was 300L. what kind of filter is it?
Carol

OP
L

lokky.funky

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

I'll not be able to get a new tank, as I have some space constraints..

Carol, the filter I'm using is the one in this picture..

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I gave you a way to run it in your other post that I believe will work. I used to have a similar filter in a much smaller tank than 8 gallons and it worked with Bettas who need very still water.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
check the back of the filter to see if their is a flow regulator. Most filters have a way to slow them down.
Carol

New Threads