New Ich Problems

1. JMullen Initiate Member

Hi everyone I originally asked for help in early Novmeber. I turned the temperature up on my 47 gallon aquarium to 84 degrees to try and get rid of ICH. After a few days the temperature change was not helping the Rosy barbs I had and during that time I had 2 of the 5 Rosy barbs die, so I decided to treat them with ICH Rid which appeared to get rid of all the ICH I had seen on the other remaining rosy barbs. After 2 weeks of seeing the barbs all look good I put the temperature back to 80 and all my fish were aok. Over the past few days the barbs are again looking to show a sign of having ICH again with a salty coating showing on their fins again. We have done several water changes over the past month, and all of my other fish are doing great. Do Rosy barbs have a tendency to get ICH, could this be another disease? Why would the barbs only have signs of ICH and not my other fish? I have currently in my tank
    1 angelfish
    1 blue guarami
    1 bristlenosed pleco
    3 assorted cories
    1 black swordtail
    4 tetras
    4 dwarf rainbow fish
    3 rosy barbs

All the readings from testing the aquarium are good now and my nitrates are below 20 ppm.
    Should I treat the fish again? Try something new? Any help would be great.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

This is exactly why I treat at 86-88 degrees. Ich can be resistant to anything less IME. This is also the reason I treat with salt, and the only reason I ever use salt in a FW aquarium... the salt kills ich in its free swimming stage.

I'd suggest treating again, but with warmer water, and adding a dose of aquarium salt. Like you've already done, leave the temp up for 2 weeks after you see the last sign of ich. Sorry you're having problems. :(