10 Gallon Tank New Hydor heater

psalm18.2
I bought a 25w Hydor adjustable heater for my 10g. Here it is.

uploadfromtaptalk1380164560386.jpg

I like the small size, very readable temp gage, and long cord.

Let you know how it holds temp in the morning. It gets 40F here and we don't use heat yet.

endlercollector
I'm still trying to find a dependable small heater. Could you tell me how much space it really takes up with the cord, too? I got one small heater but the. Found out the cable was too thick for it to fit through the small opening in the lid

psalm18.2
I'll measure tonight. Here it is in the 10g. I've read great reviews. I turned it on 71F in case it ran hot. This morning the thermometer read 71F.

The tank sits under a drafty window and it was cold last night.

endlercollector
Are you liking it? How long does it end up being when you take into the account how much space the cord uses to bend upward? Could you tell me how thick the cord is, too?

I realized that I have a bigger on in my 20 gal, and it's been very dependable the last 4 years or so. I'm beginning to think now that I'm going to have to mount a heater on the back wall of the Evolve 8 instead of hiding it in the filter the way Aqueon recommends (they say to use their minI filter, which everyone says is very limited). So i'm looking for functionality over style, but the cord still has to fit, ugh.

Dolfan
Endlercollector, could you use a drill to widen up the hole for your cord. Shouldn't need too much of a bigger hole.

I had a Hydor a few years back, they work good, and it was reliable for me. I currently have switched over to the Aqueon Pro heaters now though. I like how the LED indicates power and then also heating. Also like how it is a durable plastic case rather then glass. I have never had one break, but the glass scares me for some reason. I have this vision of cleaning out my aquarium of all these tiny glass shards.

endlercollector
Dolfan said:
Endlercollector, could you use a drill to widen up the hole for your cord. Shouldn't need too much of a bigger hole.
I only just saw your post! I'm just not comfortable with drilling a hole from one compartment of the filter into the other. I don't trust myself (and my husband doesn't trust himself either, thankfully) because I'm such a klutz!

psalm18.2
Opps, forgot to get your measurements, will do tonight. Sorry

endlercollector
psalm18.2 said:
Opps, forgot to get your measurements, will do tonight. Sorry
How much is it heating over the ambient temperature of your room in winter? Does it shut off dependably when the water is warm enough? Within a 24-hour period, our family room might go 15 degrees below and then 10 degrees over what we need the tank to be at. It's built in a way that's hard to insulate well. Sigh.

Thanks for finding these things out for us! The Endler's were really upset the last time a thermometer went bad

psalm18.2
Ok. The cord is at the 1/4 mark on the ruler, wide. The heater is about 6 1/2" long including the top turn dial. It can go horizontal or vertical.

The temp is right dead on. I have the tank in the front of a drafty window. Temps go up and down all day and night in this house. We live in New England, temps jump from 40F-67F daily. I have it set at 75F and the thermometer stays on 75F.

I'm happy with this purchase. The hydor gets good reviews so I took a chance.

endlercollector
Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom