new house comes with aquarium 380litre

kiwifisho
Hey Guys.... KiwI from down under. Love this website. I have learnt alot. (maybe not enough). I have just bought a house which has a 380 litre tank that is all built in. It was very dirty so I have spent the past few days cleaning it. I am using all the original stones, driftwood, and plants etc to decorate.

I have filled the tank and let settle for 2 days and have done the inhumane thing and added 10 neon tetras to go through the nitrogen cycle.
How many days until I will see the ammonia levels start to register?

Any pointers you can give me from here on in?
What other fish would be good with the neons?

Kiwifisho

BoSox Fan7
How many gallons is it? Most fish will be okay with neons, so get whatever you like I would recommend that you buy Cherry Barbs and Angelfish. Make sure that you don't put any more fish in until the cycle is complete.

sirdarksol
Welcome to Fishlore.

Lots and lots of water changes until you have a nitrate reading and no ammonia or nitrites.

Not sure how long it will take to see any ammonia, but don't wait to start doing water changes. I would say at least 10% (20% would be better) a day.

Edit:
BoSox, 380 liters.

As far as what can go in there, anything that can't fit its mouth around the neons should be fine. There are a few exceptions either way (fish that are big enough to swallow a neon but won't do so, as well as fish that don't seem big enough but will eat them anyway), but for the most part, look at the size of the fish and the size of their mouths will be a good start.

Shawnie
Just curious, why add fish before the tank cycles ?? ive just learned what that means and what ive read, and learned, you should cycle before adding fish...I'm just curious!

Cant wait to see pics, built in tanks are amazing!

SereneReyn
i'm not sure how many gallons that is, but it seems like alot... so 10 neons will probably add only a very small amount of ammonia... (meaning it'll take longer)

I would suggest getting some bio-spira (make sure you use a compatible water conditioner tho) and then you could completely stock it after about a week...

there are lots of fish that can go with neons... look around and see what you like, and once you get a list, ask again here if they'd work!

kiwifisho
How many gallons is it? Most fish will be okay with neons, so get whatever you like I would recommend that you buy Cherry Barbs and Angelfish. Make sure that you don't put any more fish in until the cycle is complete.

400 litres is approx 100 gallons. she is a beauty. not bad for nothing. took me 10 hours to clean it. I thought the angels were quite aggressive towards the smaller fish?

Lucy
That's about 100g, very cool, congrats and good luck.

Instead of neons, you could use pure ammonia.

kiwifisho
Welcome to Fishlore.

Lots and lots of water changes until you have a nitrate reading and no ammonia or nitrites.

Not sure how long it will take to see any ammonia, but don't wait to start doing water changes. I would say at least 10% (20% would be better) a day.

Edit:
BoSox, 380 liters.

As far as what can go in there, anything that can't fit its mouth around the neons should be fine. There are a few exceptions either way (fish that are big enough to swallow a neon but won't do so, as well as fish that don't seem big enough but will eat them anyway), but for the most part, look at the size of the fish and the size of their mouths will be a good start.

So I should be doing partial water changes every day even though the cycle has not started yet?
Why is this?

Just curious, why add fish before the tank cycles ?? ive just learned what that means and what ive read, and learned, you should cycle before adding fish...I'm just curious!

Cant wait to see pics, built in tanks are amazing!

I read all the relevant info but not well enough.
When I filled my tank and let it sit for a few days, I had no ammonia or nitrate readings. I thought I had got lucky using all the original pebbles, stoes, plants etc and thought maybe all the bacteria was still there. I have a brand new filter so no bacteria in there.

SereneReyn
if all that stuff was dry and/or without a food source, it's unlikely that any bacteria lived.

angels will eat neons, eventually... but at 10cents apiece I think of them as colorful feeders... (tho my angels are barely the size of the neons atm)... in a tank that big, you could go with discus... they are amazing!!! just a bit fragile and expensive... but I think for a tank like that, big and built in, etc... absolutely worth it. and somethingsphishy.com has a deal with discus for $10 each. they're often kept with neons, btw...

also, with fish in the tank, if you have any ammonia readings, you probably should do waterchanges pretty regularly. it's probably going to slow down the cycling, but will keep your fish happier. like I said before... try to get your hands on some bio-spira... that'll help a lot to speed things up!

sirdarksol
The moment fish go in the tank, the cycle has started. Ammonia will begin building (though with only 10 neons, not all that fast), and fish cannot handle any amount of ammonia. Some may survive, but none will thrive.

I would be leery of angels with neons. Angels can be pretty aggressive at times.

kiwifisho
10 Cents for neons. They are $20 for 10 in nz and your dollar is way better than ours.
The joys of living in the middle of nowhere

kiwifisho
Hey Guys

Thanks for all your help. I did not realise I had to do water changes while cycling with fish.

I have something like the bio spira (stress zyme) which I will add.

Great website

Will let you all know how I get on.

kiwifisho

kiwifisho
uh oh. Day 5 after cleaning my tank. I replanted the plants that were in the tank and they are shrivling up and dying. THey looked fine last night, but tonight they are not looking healthy at all.

This was supposed to be easy!!! Rather than start the nitrogen cycle with an additive, I put 10 neon tertas in the tank to start the cycle. These were put in on day 3.
I have no ammonia or nitrite readings. I have done a 20% waterchange, this is the first on day five. I know now with all your good advice I should do a 20% water change every day and will do that here on in
Any clues on the plants? Do I get rid off them because they may cause disease.
Any other help would be grateful
kiwifisho

SereneReyn
most plants need tons of lighting, and possibly Co2... unless you have low light plants, which can thrive with lighting between 1-2w per gallon. it's likely you happened to get ones that need closer to 4w per gallon and Co2. even with low light ones, they do best in a plant substrate (flourite, eco-complete) and with fertilizers and such added occassionally to the water. there are a few plants that will do well without all this stuff, but bear in mind that you have a relatively low bio-load atm too, meaning not much fish poo to naturally fertilize... there's a whole plant section on here, and you can also check out plant geek to see what plants you have, etc...

edit - also, certain plants will lose nearly all their leaves after going into a new environment, and it's totally normal... they'll grow back new ones and be perfectly healthy. crypts are known to do this a lot, for example.

Blub
Hi!

KiwI - your not supposed to add fish strait away you see - otherwise you need to do daily water changes! Cycling fish is not easy on the fish or the owner... The plants needs are probably not met. Aquatic plants are a whole different ball game, remove these dead ones and use plastic ones until your ready to learn about them.

Stress zyme does not work. Only Bio-Spira contains the right bacteria buddy.

Keep up with those water changes - and hope your fish live! It could take around a month.

werner
can you send us a pic of the tank

SereneReyn
I disagree with some of what hatchet says. you don't have to get rid of the dying plants yet... the dead leaves will likely only help the cycle along (and since you have so few fish in such a large tank, you might need a little help), and if they're crypts or something, they might make it even... they just look really bad at first. and plants are fine for a beginner, you just have to be selective about which ones.

FL CommunityFans
What Serene said. I put down some driftwood and sewed some moss on to it, and it's come along beautifully. I also got a few crypt, guppy grass, and some hornwart. Very easily maintained.

kiwifisho
Hey Guys, really appreciate your advice. I guess you learn very quickley by your mistakes. I know now the proper cycling process.
I am not sure I can get bio spira in nz.
I will investigate.

SereneReyn
good luck and keep us posted!

Blub
Hi!

Good luck! What's your stocking plan?

kiwifisho
Hey Hatch haven

I was going for more of a community tank.

I have 10 neon tertas (yes, naughty boy, during the cycle)
Maybe some zebra dianos when I have cycled.
cherrybards to follow
then maybe dwarf gouramis
swordtails? are they too big for the neons?
What are some of your thoughts. I have one big tank with loads of room.

It gets alittle worse for me guys. My tank is at 6 days in from cleaning it and putting in a new filter.
I am getting married... wahoo in fiji. I'm off on day 10 for 2 weeks.

I think my tank is doomed while I'm away. No water changes for 2 weeks while it is cycling.
Give me all the bad news and and pointers.

getting married kiwifisho.

SereneReyn
can you have anyone come in and do even one water change for you, if you show them how? if not, then given that you only have the 10 neons in such a large tank, you might be ok anyway... I would do a pretty decent water change both before and immediately after the trip. you can also temporarily add a carbon/ammochip blend to your filter, and that will help keep the water quality decent during your trip - but don't leave it in there once you're back.

be aware that most barbs have a tendency to become fin nippers, and dwarf gourami males should be kept without other gourami males... tho in a large space you might get away with more than one. swordtails aren't too big, but they're livebearers, so you'll likely wind up with babies and babies and more babies. in such a nice big tank, I would want a couple larger 'show' fish... like discus, or maybe angels (tho angels might snack on the neons)... some german blue rams would go well with either.

congratulations, btw! enjoy the honeymoon!

susitna-flower
It's been said before, but WELCOME TO FISHLORE!

A house and 100 gal tank! WOW! I know all about being out in the middle of no where!....and things like bio-spira not being available. 10 neons in a 100 gal tank will take forever to cycle!, and I think you don't need to do water changes JUST to do them. Test your water every day....IF the tests show ammonia or nitrite over 0 THEN do a 10-25% water change.

Keeping the fish load down will take time to build enough bacteria to handle a normal stocking of fish, and you really should complete the cycle before adding more....then add slowly a couple of fish a week to let the bacteria keep up....

As for plants. Just pick off really dead leaves, and let them have a chance to recover. Disturbing roots often causes them to go into shock, time will tell. If the plants die completely, pull them.

One way you can cycle your tank faster is if you can get some filter media, or gravel from an established tank (keep moist, warm but not hot till you put it in your tank), put in a nylon stocking or something similar. Hang it in your tank for a couple of weeks, and it will establish the bacteria in your tank.

My advice for the future, even if you feel your tank is "really dirty", don't do huge cleanings where you kill off bacteria.

Gravel vacuuming, 1/2 of the tank per week, and don't scrub decorations, or change filter media, just swish in discarded tank water, and you will keep plenty of bacteria to keep your tank cycled. Good Luck and let us know how it all goes for you!

Congratulations on the wedding.....MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than 10 neons........go have fun, don't give the tank a thought, and if you come home to dead fish, you are on your way to a fishless cycle, because they will be producing that ammonia the bacteria need.......then fish them out, and do a fishless cycle.....You can read all about it up top of the page under "articles", go to the link on the nitrogen cycle, and it tells all about how to do it.....

kiwifisho
Hey Guys

Thanks for the info.
A shame I did not know all this before hand.
I could have rmoved some gravel and put it in a bucket and then re-added once I had cleaned the tank.
Never mind.

bula vananka!!

werner
send us pics of the tank please

Blub
Hey Hatch haven

I was going for more of a community tank.

I have 10 neon tertas (yes, naughty boy, during the cycle)
Maybe some zebra dianos when I have cycled.
cherrybards to follow
then maybe dwarf gouramis
swordtails? are they too big for the neons?
What are some of your thoughts. I have one big tank with loads of room.

It gets alittle worse for me guys. My tank is at 6 days in from cleaning it and putting in a new filter.
I am getting married... wahoo in fiji. I'm off on day 10 for 2 weeks.

I think my tank is doomed while I'm away. No water changes for 2 weeks while it is cycling.
Give me all the bad news and and pointers.

getting married kiwifisho.
Hi!

Just call me hatchet. Congrats on the marrige!

That stocking plan isn't good. Now, I must tell you Cherry barbs are the black sheep of the barb family - they are totally peaceful. I have them with dwarf gouramis and hey presto - no nipping! Males can be a little nippy towards each other, and you should always maintain the 1 male 3 female ratio. 2 male female cherry barbs? Zebra danios aren't good with Dwarf gouramis, as they tend to freak them out and are a little nippy. With dwarf gouramis, keep 1 male with multiple females. So, 1 male 3 female of those? Be aware that you can get many different colour varietys of Dwarf gourami. Swordtails are great, as long as you have only males. They won't eat cherry barbs or neons - toally peaceful. So, what about 10 neons, 4 Dwarf gouramis, 8 Cherry barbs and Swordtails? That would be a great tank!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
konstargirl
Replies
Views
Neuf88
  • Question