New hobbyist!

Matt11711

Hi, I'm matt and I'm new to fish keeping and this forum!

I had a 29g as a kid but my father mainly took care of it, and im only just now getting into the hobby and I'm currently cycling a 20 Long planted tank that will hopefully be home to some guppies, shrimp, frogs, snails, and a clown loach. I feel like I've done a lot of research but there's always more to know so I'll be asking a couple questions here as I try to get everything set up. I hear this is a great community and I'm really excited about getting into this hobby! I also love reading about other people's tanks and experiences but I obviously don't feel like I have much to contribute yet.

EllsAquarium

I had a 29g as a kid but my father mainly took care of it, and im only just now getting into the hobby and I'm currently cycling a 20 Long planted tank that will hopefully be home to some guppies, shrimp, frogs, snails, and a clown loach. I feel like I've done a lot of research but there's always more to know so I'll be asking a couple questions here as I try to get everything set up. I hear this is a great community and I'm really excited about getting into this hobby! I also love reading about other people's tanks and experiences but I obviously don't feel like I have much to contribute yet.
Hello!! I don’t ever have anything to contribute but like you, I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone’s questions and answers and seeing all the different experiences! I only have a small planted tank but it’s one of my favorite hobby’s.
Enjoy!! Everyone is really nice.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Welcome to fishlore! Good luck with your first tank.

Matt11711

toeknee

Welcome and good luck!

You may want to reconsider the Clown Loach unfortunately. They can grow close to a foot long and like to be in groups. A group of Kuhlie Loaches would work out nicely in a 20 long.

Matt11711

Welcome and good luck!

You may want to reconsider the Clown Loach unfortunately. They can grow close to a foot long and like to be in groups. A group of Kuhlie Loaches would work out nicely in a 20 long.
Oh that is a mistake on my part, I meant to say clown pleco! I heard they like slow moving water like ADFs and shrimp and I figured a single one would be less of a bio load than multiple loaches.

Kribensis27

Welcome to FishLore! Sounds like a good plan!

JustAFishServant

Welcome to the forum, Matt! I'm Matt!

I'm glad to hear you have prior experience with aquariums! They're a lot of fun to watch grow and thrive but do take plenty of work. Just keep up with the proper maintenance and, if you can, I'd highly suggest grabbing some live plants!

Rosehip3030

So happy you are here! This community is so great. I’m glad you are cycling your tank before adding any fish! Can I ask what filter you have gotten for this 20 long?

Matt11711

So happy you are here! This community is so great. I’m glad you are cycling your tank before adding any fish! Can I ask what filter you have gotten for this 20 long?
I have an aquaclear 30 and I'm currently looking into getting a small sponge filter as well so that I have something to put in my quarantine tank once I need it.

Rosehip3030

I have an aquaclear 30 and I'm currently looking into getting a small sponge filter as well so that I have something to put in my quarantine tank once I need it.
Personally depending on the fish, I wouldn’t put too much current in the tank. The Aquaclear should do fine! I know a lot of fresh water fish get stressed with too much current or movement!

Matt11711

Personally depending on the fish, I wouldn’t put too much current in the tank. The Aquaclear should do fine! I know a lot of fresh water fish get stressed with too much current or movement!
My hope was that with the aquaclear having an adjustable flow rate and Sponge filters having (from what I can tell) a very low flow rate, I could do both and still keep the flow low. This would allow me to increase the bio filtration a bit but more importantly let me have a startup filter for my quarantine tank. I don't have the space for a permanent quarantine setup but I'm open to other ideas!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Newbie94
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
Replies
Views
NinaMarina
Replies
Views