New here

Jynx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm Jynx, I'm from a small town in Texas, I'm married and have 3 children, a dog, a cat, and just bought 2 black skirt tetra's, and 2 white skirt tetra's.

I recently revamped my entire 55 gal aquarium, and had been cycling it, and waiting not so patiently to get new fish. My last fish got ich and died, all but one, then it eventually died, I think it was lonley. It was a blue Gorami, the one's I bought were not supposed to have been sold to me due to being under observation.

Anyway, I'm here to hopefully learn some things and also talk to people who like fish as much as I do.

~Jynx

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi jynx, welcome to fishlore, i'm neville, we will try our best to help u. don't put any fish until the cycling is complete, actually u have to study a lot before u buy any new fish.........

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi! Welcome to fishlore

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome jynx to fishlore. First thing you need to do is read all the information in the Fish Tank Beginners Guides down at the bottom of this page! The nitrogen cycle is EXTREMELY important in keeping a healthy aquarium. Even if you have problems like ich, you have to protect that bacteria, while treating the other problems.
Folks here might have told you to turn up your heater and hold the aquarium temp at 82-84 degrees and it would have killed the ich, and your fish may have lived, and it would have saved all the bacteria and you from all that work of cleaning your tank!

Fish are a great family project, hope you and your whole household enjoy them for years to come. If there is ever anything we can help with let us know!

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Jynx

Valued Member
Reaction score
susitna-flower said:

Folks here might  have told you to turn up your heater and hold the aquarium temp at 82-84 degrees and it would have killed the ich, and your fish may have lived, and it would have saved all the bacteria and you from all that work of cleaning your tank!   
Actually, my fish did live, for months aftwards, I think the reason the last one dies was due to not eating. No matter what I fed it, it would not eat.

~Jynx

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
welcome to fishlore! if only you'd found fishlore sooner!! this is a great website with some great people who will help you. just ask!! hopefully with a bit more research and a bit of luck you'll have healthier fish this time. can i just recommend if you havent already, in getting a test kit. the API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) master test kit is invaluable (more accurate that test strips too) and then you'll know if your parameters are out. when the ammonia or nitrate have anything above a 1 or the nitrates are above 20 your fish become stressed and are susceptible to disease. disease is often caused by poor water. change at least 10% (preferably 20%) every week to keep it clean. even though you're not a beginner as you've done the fish thing before the beginners pages are really useful and explain why we do what we do! hope the family all get involved. my kids love the fiah and tanks (even though my 2 year old refuses to say the word fish and calls them ALL Nemo!!!) typical!!! :. its a great way to introduce science to kids of any age! i'm 28 and i learnt all about the nitrogen cycle!! and for the toddlers and little ones they learn the lessons of caring for animals and they depend on you etc.
good luck!
Tan

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom