New here

irena

Reaction score
HI all,

We are a recovering "betta in a betta tank" family. Mr. Fishy I joined our family eighteen months ago as a present for my then six year old son. That sounds terrible, but my son is incredibly responsible. The only awful thing in retrospect was that I believed the guy at the pet store that "bettas get lost in big tanks" and Mr. Fishy spent his life in a one quart tank. :-[ However, he played with us, had the best food, and PJ really loved him and took excellent care of him.

We lost Mr. Fishy a couple months ago and then we had a horrible time replacing him. It was a real trauma for our family and launched me into a search to find out more about bettas. Even though we seemed to be doing everything right the next time around, we lost one betta after another, some within hours of full transition to the new (now larger) tank. PJ got very depressed and started to wonder, I could tell, whether it was some kind of conspiracy. My mom said I was killing them with kindness, that it was no coincidence that the original Mr. Fishy I survived so long without the fancy tank, heater, pretty plants, etc.

Finally a wonderful person at a specialty pet store (where bettas were kept in habitats, not cups), suggested our water might be the problem. I had already tested for everything you could test for, but they said they couldn't keep bettas in their tap water either.

Mr. Fishy 5 arrived home and with great trepidation I transitioned him over to the tank, filled with store bought spring water instead. I was so nervous about it I took an entire day to switch him. He was not happy about staying in the bag that long! Finally I let him out and he lives! We are so happy.

He is totally different than his namesake, the first Mr. Fishy, who was quite outgoing - he's more nervous and shy, but he's smarter, too. He also likes to move around a lot, is more interactive with his plants, and he really enjoys looking at the fish in the mirror, where that seemed to disturb Mr. Fishy 1 and we rarely did it for him. I give Mr. Fishy a few moments to strut for Mirror Fish (gives me a chance to inspect fins, too), and then he seems convinced that he drove off the intruder, when I take the mirror away.

All the Mr. Fishy's (poor guys, I could never convince PJ to come up with a new name) were blue veil tails. Mr. Fishy 5 is just beautiful and I'm gaga over him.

In future I'll mostly lurk but I don't like to lurk without introducing myself, in case I do have a question later.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome, Irena!!!
We are very happy to have you join us. You sound like an incredible betta mommy and it sounds like Mr Fishy 5 will have a long and happy life with you and PJ.

CherryRose

OP
I

irena

Reaction score
I do have a question. How do you take pcictures of your fish? I keep trying and failing miserably - Mr. fishy 5 is so stunning when he's strutting around, I really want to capture it "on film". But I keep getting flare off the glass. Flash flare, not betta flare : ;D

Timesdragonfly

Reaction score
I've had luck using my digital with no flash in the "close up" setting. If you do not have a digital, I would still turn off the flash. Turn the tank light on, or if you don't have a tank light, or it isn't bright enough, have someone hold an extra light above the tank with the lid open, so you won't be getting a glare from light on the glass. Careful not to stress out your fish though. When I did this lighting method with Grim, he needed a few seconds to settle down before I could get a decent shot. You can also use the mirror to get him to focus on something, flare, and stay still enough for the pic. Don't let ur fish flare for too long as it can stess them out. Esspecially if added to the stress from the extra lighting and the camera. Some folks may have found a less complicated way to get a good pic, but that's what has worked for me.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Breeders and distributors will use mirrors to make the fish flare for "demo" shots, but it really is hard on them to flare if it is not necessary. I would seriously limit the "mirror" activity. The physiological changes in them when they are threatened, and they do not know the difference between "mirror fishy" and the real thing, are major. Their hearts and respiration rates race and they become major stressed and if left there more than 5 minutes can have lasting health issues from it.

I am always glad to welcome a new convert from the "bettas belong in bowls - NOT" community. I am so glad you have not given up on having a betta as they are wonderful fish and a great addition to the family. I know how hard it is to lose the fish you love and I must say that your son seems to be very well adjusted to be able to lose so many bettas and still want to continue with the idea and practice of owning one. Mr. Fishy is very lucky.

I am so glad you have come to join us.

Rose

divakeeks

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You will find so much help here!! I know I have. The people on the forum are GREAT and you would not believe the response time when you actually NEED it!!

Welcome MR FISHY 5!!!!

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
You've been a victI'm of misconceptions. I heard the same song and dance from petstores too. That they didn't need much space or heat etc. Obviously you did what you thought you could. This is a great place to learn about betta care. Welcome to the forum. Please don't hesitate to post here or pm anything you need to know about.

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Welcome Irena!  You've landed yourself on one of the best sites around for Betta-related info and support.

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Irena,

At the beginning of the Betta Board there is a post called "Welcome and Betta Care Guide", I would recommend that you read it if you have not done so already.  It may clear up anything that has perhaps been a problem with bettas 2-4 not making it.  I spent a lot of time studying bettas before I wrote it and have updated it a few times since then as things have come up.  It is true that we have a really great group of betta owners who work very hard to help each other and there is a wealth of information here so please do not hesitate to browse the Board as you may find something already here that would be just the thing you need to know.

This is not the oldest of Boards but I am very proud of how it has grown and the quality of the people who post on it. They are all totally in love with their fish and would do anything to help them and consider them a part of the family. We call our bettas by name on this Board as they are the reason we are here and they all have a personality of their own. We have all grieved together when one of them dies and celebrated together when a new one enters our community. We get to know each others Bettas and their little quirks by the posts and stories we tell about them and pictures we share of them. We all become fast friends and want to get to know you and your betta much better so I hope that you not only lurk but join in and let us get to know you all.

Rose

AesSedai

Reaction score
((irena))

I wish to join everyone else in wishing you a warm welcome to FishLore. This was one of the first few forums I checked out after getting Zen, my Betta, on Oct 18th. Needless to say, I didn't venture further and have stayed right here. It's so obvious how much the people here care about Bettas. It has made so much difference for so many.

You're a great mom to give your young son the responsibility he deserves and I'm sure earned, btw.

Happy New Year!

New Threads