New here!

Bettababy99

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
i used to be on here years ago but got out of the hobby.
i have a 65 gallon community tank and recently came upon some Koi Bettas at my local fish store. They were beautiful so I grabbed 2 females and a male and decided to try breeding. (I've bred bettas in the past)
Anyways. I introduced the 2 females to my community tank. That didnt go well. They fought, i seperated them and took the most aggressive one out. The other is still in there but I will probably remove. My male molly isn't happy.
anyways, I'm starting to think these fish were mis labelled. Maybe they are all males..? Ive never had females fight before. They flare at the other fish too. I had them in the tank for about 2 hours before they started really going at it.
what's everyone thoughts? These photos are of the 2 I was sold as females.

Attachments

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In my experience, many females can be just as aggressive as males - there’s a huge range of personalities for both genders :) And generally, two females together won’t work out, as one will be more dominant and bully the other. To spread aggression out, you typically was 4 as an absolute minimum

It’s not always the best way to check, but females will always have an ovipositor or “egg spot” just behind their ventral fins. Males can sometimes have fake egg spots, so it’s not always a sure-fire way to gender, but it’s a good place to start. I can’t tell from the pictures you posted if they have them or not, so you’ll have to look yourself :D
1DD19EE7-07D3-4651-88D6-0C8106342F2E.jpeg

fish47

Reaction score
they don't look like females to me. Females usually have a lump right behind their heads on the bottom like this picture. Just remember that females can be aggressive as well.

Attachments

OP
B

Bettababy99

Reaction score
I don't see an egg spot. Super frustrated. I would not have purchased 3 males. They are all awesome forsure but now I have no female koi Bettas.
this one was sold to me as a male

Attachments

OP
B

Bettababy99

Reaction score
Ive left the pinkish one in the 65 gallon for now. Its not being crazy but if I notice bad aggression I'll remove him/her.

Attachments

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome back! :)

I'm not overly experienced with female bettas, but those look like males to me... Remember that females can be super aggressive too, so it could just be that. But I don't see the defining 'bump' on them, that you usually see on females.

Sorry if they were mislabeled. That sucks :(

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, it sucks that they were mislabeled... however, hopefully you got them for slightly less since they were labeled as female?

OP
B

Bettababy99

Reaction score
The pink one and my "male" were $25 each. The one with the bright blue was $15 & he / she is really pretty. Definitely thinking they are all males :(

New Threads